“You can't control what happens to you, you can only control how you act. Bad stuff happens and life is not easy but we can be resilient and realize that this is the best life. I can look at everything negative in my life and we all have a million reasons to say why things suck but if you really look around and just be grateful, you realize that this is just the best life.” – Danny-J Johnson
What does living the best life look like to you?
Wellness + Wisdom Episode 294
Award-winning entrepreneur, Coach, Speaker, and Co-Host of The Best Life Podcast, Danny-J Johnson returns to share how she sought out the help she knew she deserved for her depression and suicidal thoughts, how online Influencers can express and spread greater consciousness, and her healing journey to live the best life.
Listen and find out how to set healthy boundaries for yourself around social media.
The Best Life Podcast
Listen to The Best Life Podcast here
At The Best Life Podcast, your hosts, Danny-J Johnson and Jill Coleman talk about everything from: success, money, relationships, entrepreneurship, productivity, honest communication, positive psychology, and an abundance mindset.
What is the best life? It is the anti-basic life, anti-groundhog day, and a 3-D Version of Success of you creating a life that YOU choose.
Danny-J Dot Com
Click here to learn more about and work with Danny-J Johnson
Driven, passionate, fun and full of laughter, Danny-J Johnson, is a high-energy speaker who can dish it to you straight, but with just enough sugar to make you want more.
Danny-J, is a serial entrepreneur who has created multiple successful brands and online businesses with one underlying principle: “Make People More Awesome” She won Ali Brown’s 2012 Entrepreneur of the year award, lived through being paralyzed at age 22 and was a suicidal and pregnant teen, with quite a turn-around story.
She owned a very successful personal training and online-training business, No Excuses Fitness, and has helped thousands of people shed unwanted body fat and find inner confidence. She coached fitness competitors to the stage and has even graced the stage as a National Level Athlete and Fitness Magazine Cover Model herself.
Body Image Panel for Women with Danny-J Johnson
Listen To Episode 294 As Danny-J Johnson Uncovers:
- Why the lessons you need to learn from plant medicine tend to take time to unfold rather than just overnight.
- Preparation and inner work are just as important as the plant medicine ceremony and post-integration.
- Lessons she learned from plant medicine about her relationship's infidelity and why it happened for her rather than to her.
- Being her authentic self on social media about her depression, suicidal thoughts, plant medicine experience, antidepressant medication, and healing journey.
- Why we have to go through difficult moments in life to experience the best gifts it can bring us.
Different experiences of depression and suicidal thoughts she has had in the past which led her to seek the short-term medical help she knew she deserved.
The side effects she experienced from taking Zoloft to fight her depression and then the eventual, personal switch to taking Wellbutrin for her unique mental and physical biology.
- How suicidal thoughts can occur depending on hormones, a woman's menstruation cycle, Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), postpartum depression and other factors.
- The real truth about plant medicine, psychedelics, why they're not glamorous at all, and how to use them as a tool for healing.
- The constant stigma surrounding depression and what we see on the surface rather than someone's inner struggle.
- The vital importance of mental health when also approaching emotional, physical, and spiritual wellness.
Breaking Stigmas About Mental Health
- Approaching mental health in your family: both of Josh's and Danny-J's own stories and experiences.
What you can do now for better mental, physical, and emotional wellness despite your family's past health history.
The moment she realized she wasn't giving herself enough self-care and what she's doing now and in the future to change that.
- Taking away the negative charge that something might happen to you by asking yourself, “So, what? So what if that happens?”
Why we all have different experiences yet every human being experiences the same feelings at one point or another in their lifetime.
- Epigenetics and why something that happened in your family's lineage three or four generations ago could possibly be activated when you're in certain situations in life.
- Negative consequences of spiritually bypassing mental health and difficult situations in the health and wellness world.
- How she applies her message of “you can't control what happens to you, you can only control how you respond and act from it” to her own life.
- The magic of social media to guide, connect, and help other people get to a better place.
- Setting healthy rules and boundaries for yourself around social media and including being wise about how you spend your time on your phone.
- Changing your language from saying, “I have to” to “I get to,” and how that simple switch will completely change our perception and mindset in life.
Power Quotes From The Show'You can't control what happens to you, you can only control how you act.' - @DannyJDotCom Click To Tweet
We Get To Choose Happiness
“When people observe your life and they think everything is going great for you, you're perfect, or you have everything together, it's hard to admit that you don't have it altogether. There's still a lot of stigma around depression and people asking, “Well, what do you have to be depressed about? You have everything going for you.” I have amazing friends, I have all the tools, and I know what to do. Our podcast is called The Best Life because we literally feel like we have the best lives and we get to choose that. I believe in choice and that we get to choose happiness.” – Danny-J Johnson
The Common Thread In Each Of Our Stories
“There are no new stories. A lot of our feelings are the same but we all have unique biochemistry and situations in life. You could have a cheating spouse, mourn someone's death, or get rejected from a job and still react the same way. We are all figuring life out based on all of our unique experiences and then finding the common thread in each one.” – Danny-J Johnson
Setting Healthy Social Media Boundaries
“A couple of years ago when I wasn't well and I was gaining all of this weight, I was following so many other fitness influencers and models on social media. Reading their messages of ‘Getting in two a day,' or ‘No excuses,' triggered these constant internal battles of feeling guilty that I wasn't working out even though knew I needed to heal by resting. So, I started to unfollow them based on whether their content made me feel bad about myself or if I was judging them. It's not their fault that I felt this way; they're living their own lives but I needed to unfollow people who weren't serving me. This wasn't about me watching all of them, this was about me staying grounded by putting all of my focus back on myself.” – Danny-J Johnson