From Illness To Wellness: Adrienne Nolan-Smith
“Wellness is a 360-degree life approach to wanting to be your best and live your best. The one hundred choices we make a day truly impact our health. From who we spend our time with to how we talk to ourselves to the food we put in our mouth. We have to look at the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of wellness to feel whole.” – Adrienne Nolan-Smith
How many of your daily choices are unhealthy? What can you do today to flip the script and become the CEO of your own wellbeing?
In Wellness + Wisdom episode 273, Founder of WellBe, Adrienne Nolan-Smith, explores the concept of patient advocacy, how you can create change within the healthcare industry, what you can do to break the loneliness epidemic cycle, and which steps you can take today for long-term behavior shifts.
Learn how you can take ownership of your future by preventing chronic illness through better physical, emotional, and mental health.
How WellBe Are You?
How many of your daily choices are healthy?
We know that preventing & reversing Chronic Health Issues IS possible, but sometimes it can feel like a lot of work. See how you're doing already, and which areas you might want to focus on in 2019.
The 100 choices we make a day are our true healthcare. Find out how many of yours are preventing chronic disease, and what you can tweak. Start your WellBe journey now.now
Listen To Episode 273 As Adrienne Nolan-Smith Uncovers:
- How WellBe is helping people find the information they need to help with their chronic disease by sharing interviews, media interviews, and stories on their platform.
- What a patient-advocate actually is and why it's making an impact in the healthcare system.
- The need for more patient-centered care to help people with their paperwork, medical debt, and give them the knowledge they need to take back their power.
- Her mission to help people fully heal their bodies through a fully integrative and holistic approach.
- How we can introduce people to a new way of thinking about their health and healing chronic disease
- Her and Josh's mothers' personal experiences battling mental health illnesses and needing to take lithium and prescription drugs.
- Why our modern mental healthcare system in the US is the opposite of the healing, peaceful environment that it should be.
- Her mother's experience being in and out of mental healthcare facilities for three years while being heavily drugged and costing thousands of dollars.
- How her mother became stuck in the jaws of the mental healthcare system simply by coming through because of a paranoia episode.
- The negative reaction she received from a physician looking after her mother when she suggested giving her mother a diet of healthy fats to help strengthen her brain.
- The importance of breakthrough research about the brain-gut connection for better health and wellness.
- The 9 common traits of people who spontaneously heal from cancer including 7 being emotional and spiritual and only 2 people physical.
- Why the nuclear family is one of the leading causes of the loneliness epidemic in our world today.
- How to find a wellness tribe in your own community.
- The incredible amount of positive hormones that are released in the body because of a 6-second hug.
- What steps we can do today to make us and other people feel less lonely and more loved.
- How we can start quantifying our emotions to continue growing our emotional intelligence.
- The power of storytelling and sharing with others about how to heal from a holistic approach.
- Why researchers are calling for more psychedelic therapy studies to be included in clinical medicine.
- The care Josh and his family are now giving his mother after finding out that taking lithium for her health has actually led to her late-stage kidney disease.
Power Quotes From The Show'You are the CEO of your health and all change starts with people speaking up. Slowly but surely that becomes a movement against the current healthcare industry'- @getwellbeClick To Tweet
“All of us deep down know when we don't feel whole and we don't feel like we're really on the right track to living our best life or preventing and reversing from chronic illness when it might arise. It's important to do the work to arrive at a place where you feel whole and are able to experience everything that life has to offer from joy and movement to relationships and self-love.” – Adrienne Nolan-Smith
“You are the CEO of your health and all change starts with people speaking up. Slowly but surely that becomes a movement against the current healthcare industry and we truly have no choice because if you look at the rate of this chronic disease epidemic, it's just skyrocketing and there are no signs of it slowing down.” – Adrienne Nolan-Smith
“The conventional healthcare system loves scores, charts, and tests. So, I'm sure they could come up with some way to create a quiz or a test to score emotional intelligence if they haven't done so already. You can use those results to help any practitioner, doctor, or insurance company to understand the baggage that people with illnesses are holding onto as well as the fact that they're not self-aware or very emotionally intelligent to be able to work through what they're going through.” – Adrienne Nolan-Smith
“It's absolutely worth investing money into helping people quantify their emotional intelligence, understand their thoughts and feelings, and unpack what's inside. Sure it may take time to see trends and quantified results but I believe that anyone who invests in holistic health will see the impact of certain activities that either worsen or improve one's health.” – Adrienne Nolan-Smith
WellBe's Founder Adrienne Nolan-Smith's Journey to Beat Chronic Lyme Disease | Inspiration Ep. 1
Links From Today's Show
- Dr. Kelly Brogan
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The NIH Human Microbiome Project
- Dr. Laura Belus
- The HEAL documentary by Kelly Noonan Gores
- Kelly Turner
- Former surgeon general sounds the alarm on the loneliness epidemic
- Michael Pollan
- Johns Hopkins Psychedelic Research Unit
- 9 Key Factors Affecting Radical Remission From Cancer
- The “Loneliness Epidemic”
- Patient advocacy
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) Research
- WFR 236 Dr. Michael Ruscio
- WFR 129 Gretchen Rubin
- WFR 192 Jason Prall
- WFR 199 Peter Crone
- WFR 226 Paul Chek
- The WellBe Podcast
- How WellBe Are You? Quiz
- WellBe Guides
- WellBe Health News & Research
About Adrienne Nolan-Smith
In her personal and professional experience, Adrienne Nolan-Smith has seen how integrative health and wellness are key to preventing and reversing disease. When she was 11, Adrienne was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Her conventional doctor prescribed antibiotics, but they didn’t work and her mother was then told there were no other options. Two years and multiple integrative therapies later, Adrienne was Lyme-free. Over the years, other health issues came up and each time it became clear that conventional doctors had tools to treat her symptoms, but they never got to the root of the problems, nor did they really try to cure them.
In 2010, Adrienne lost her mother to suicide while she was on antipsychotic and antidepressant medications to treat schizoaffective disorder. At that point, Adrienne knew she needed to completely switch careers and began working for a healthcare technology company, hoping to fix the system from the inside. After several years working with hospitals, she realized that, until wellness is the standard of care, the current chronic disease crisis would only continue to rise. She also realized that until people demand wellness from their doctors, their brands, their employers, their governments and ultimately, from themselves, nothing will change. Adrienne founded WellBe to facilitate this change by helping you get and stay well, and demanding a system that supports you in this endeavor.
Adrienne received her BA from Johns Hopkins University, her MBA from the Kellogg School at Northwestern University, and is a board-certified patient advocate (BCPA). She lives in New York City, where she was born and raised. Adrienne gets WellBe with acupuncture, Chinese herbs, and eating (mostly!) clean, real food.