The Truth About Food And Mental Health – Autumn Smith
“Research is showing that many of our common mental health issues are rooted in the immune system.” – Autumn Smith
Today on the podcast we're joined by Autumn Smith, co-founder of Paleovalley and co-host of the top-ranked Optimize Paleo Podcast, as she shares the important role nutrition plays in our mental and emotional well-being.
Autumn suffered acute digestive issues since she was a teenager and numerous experts failed to offer solutions that worked. After years of dealing with poor gut health and a lack of abundant energy, she decided to take matters into her own hands. Through extensive research, experimentation, and some help from her loving husband Chas, she adopted a Paleo diet and was able to completely resolve her health issues.
With her newfound vitality and zest for life, she quit her job as a trainer and launched Paleovalley with the belief that everything you eat and every added ingredient is an opportunity to either detract from your health or improve it.
Join us on Wellness + Wisdom 135 as Autumn shares her strategies for clean eating, tips to navigate our misleading nutritional landscape, and the psychological tools we need to create lasting behavior change.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”‘Every time we purchase food our dollars are casting a vote.' – Autumn Smith @Paleovalley” quote=”‘Every time we purchase food our dollars are casting a vote.' – Autumn Smith @Paleovalley”]
15% Discount: Visit Paleovalley.com
*Use Coupon Code “JOSH” at Checkout
Listen To Episode 135 As Autumn Uncovers:
- How Paleovalley was created from solving Autumn's ongoing issues with gut-health
- The role nutrition plays in our mental and emotional health
- Changes in physical health that helped Autumn rediscover her enthusiasm for life
- Strategies to naturally heal our emotional and mental problems before resorting to pharmaceuticals
- The common misconceptions about the link between our nutrition and mental health
- How our blood sugar correlates with depression and anxiety
- The nutrients we may be lacking and how that affects our mood
- How we can tune into our bodies signals from tracking and analyzing nutrition and biomarkers
- The hidden ingredients in products that may affect our mental and physical wellbeing
- How Autumn creates dramatic results and retrains her taste buds with a 30-day clean eating plan
- Developing the psychological tools that will help us create a sustainable dietary change
- How fats, carbs, and proteins will affect our blood sugar
- Using a Continuous Glucose Monitor to understand how certain foods affect our health
- The harmful effects stress has on the physical body
- Learning how to decipher and navigate food labels
- The deceptive marketing tactics that manufacturers use to mislead the public
- How the dietary choices of nursing mothers can impact their child's taste profile
- Recommended snacks we can eat throughout the day to regulate blood sugar
- How to lessen the stress of a dietary change by adding instead of removing foods
- The importance of finding communities and support systems to assist us on our health journey
- Becoming part of the solution by consuming non-CAFO, sustainably-raised animals
Power Quotes From Autumn Smith
[click_to_tweet tweet=”‘Many of our mental health issues are rooted in the immune system.' – Autumn Smith @Paleovalley” quote=”‘Many of our mental health issues are rooted in the immune system.' – Autumn Smith @Paleovalley”]
“Every single time you put something in your mouth it's an opportunity to love and care for yourself.” – Autumn Smith
“We're fighting an uphill battle when we consume foods that are specifically designed to light up the reward systems in our brain.” – Autumn Smith
“Every time we purchase food our dollars are casting a vote.” – Autumn Smith
“We have to question if our momentary desires are in alignment with our ultimate goal and vision.” – Autumn Smith
“Thinking bigger forces us to take radically different steps to achieve our goals.” – Autumn Smith
“Research is showing that many of our mental health issues are rooted in the immune system.” – Autumn Smith
Links From Today's Show:
- Autumn Smith:
- Paleovalley 100% Grass Fed Beef Sticks
- Dr. Kelly Brogan
- Nora Gedgaudas
- Alcohol addiction treatments and mental health
- Moodie Emotions Analytics
- Dr. Felice Jacka
- Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) – FDA
- US Food and Drug Administration – FDA
- NYT = The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food
- Howard Moskowitz
- “The Bliss Point”
- Optimize Paleo Podcast – Julie Mathews
- Optimize Paleo Podcast – Dave Zappasodi
- Tracy Anderson
- C.H.E.K. Institute
- Allan Savory Institute
- Paul Chek – What is Organics?
Paleovalley 100% Grass Fed Beef Sticks
The Optimize Paleo Podcast
Take control of your health by moving beyond the Paleo template and learning about cutting edge health strategies that really work.
This podcast will give you tips and tricks from the mouths of experts and common folk alike who discovered exactly what it takes to THRIVE.
Join Chas and Autumn Smith, loving and passionate husband and wife and founders of Paleovalley.com as they guide you on the journey to cultivate vibrant health and wellness.
The story of Paleovalley is a love story. Autumn and Chas Smith, co-founders, met in 2007, fell in love, and married on the magical Sunset Cliffs in San Diego, CA. This year they were blessed with an amazing baby boy, Maverick.
Autumn suffered acute digestive issues since she was a teenager and numerous experts failed to offer solutions that worked. Very concerned, Chas took matters into his own hands. His extensive research lead him to the paleo diet.
Together they implemented its principles for 30 days (eliminated refined foods, shopped at local farmers’ market, ate fresh organic fruits and vegetables, grass fed meats and wild seafood) and by the end, Autumn's IBS was completely resolved. Autumn was so inspired that she quit her job as a personal trainer at the Tracy Anderson Method, and earned a master’s degree in holistic nutrition.
Though they originally focused on disseminating information, they soon realized that there simply weren’t many truly healthy food products on the market. Many products claimed and even appeared to be to be healthy, using all the buzzwords such as gluten free, soy free, dairy free, natural and more but they were also nutrient free; free of the minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that promote thriving health.
Realizing that they had an important job to do, Autumn and Chas joined forces with Chas' brother Matt and a good friend, Matthew, and launched Paleovalley with the belief that everything you eat and every added ingredient is an opportunity to either detract from your health or improve it.
Their mission is to create products that live up to their own strict standards and always prioritize health over profit. Paleovalley creates products with integrity that are free from problematic ingredients and teeming with ingredients that promote vibrant health.
They strive to inspire people to view every dietary choices for what it really is: a profound opportunity to love and care for oneself. Paleovalley products are a labor of love, and their only hope is that they help your family feel as vibrant as theirs.
*15% off with Coupon Code “JOSH”
About Autumn Smith
has been a health enthusiast her entire life. She began her academic career with a Bachelor's degree in psychology and a minor in dance from the University of Montana. Upon graduation, Autumn danced professionally while becoming a certified yoga instructor. Hoping to combine her love of dance with her passion for health, Autumn became a celebrity fitness trainer with Tracy Anderson, most notably completing a world tour with Jennifer Lopez.
While working as a fitness trainer, Autumn could see that exercise alone was not enough for many of her clients to achieve the radiant health they worked so hard to achieve. Meanwhile, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and anxiety continued to plague her personal health, starting in adolescence. These frustrations further ignited her passion and interest in the study of holistic nutrition. Through self-guided research, she and her husband, Chas, healed her IBS with the paleo diet. She then studied with the Institute for the Psychology of Eating to become a Certified Eating Psychology Coach and Hawthorn University where she obtained a Masters in Holistic Nutrition. In 2013, she founded Paleo valley with her husband and brother-in-law. Paleo valley’s mission is to disseminate excellent nutritional information and organic food products with 100 million people worldwide. Autumn's commitment to health reached new heights last year following the birth of their son, Maverick.