Building Bulletproof Emotional Intelligence: Dave Asprey
“The antidote for negative thinking is gratitude. Finding just one thing you can be grateful for in a moment where you’re on edge will flip a switch in your brain that brings passion, curiosity, and a new perspective.” – Dave Asprey
Is hacking your emotional intelligence, consciousness, and ego to become a high performer actually easier than you realize?
On Wellness + Wisdom episode 250, New York Times bestselling author, podcast host of Bulletproof Radio, as well as Founder and CEO of Bulletproof, Dave Asprey, reveals how you can hack your emotional intelligence, discusses several of the 46 Laws for High Performance from his latest book, Game Changers, and teaches you how you can rewire the brain, stop the negative voice in your head, and let go of shame.
More About The Book
The bestselling author of Head Strong and The Bulletproof Diet answers the question, “How can I kick more ass at life?” by culling the wisdom of world-class thought leaders, maverick scientists, and disruptive entrepreneurs to provide proven techniques for becoming happier, healthier, and smarter.
When Dave Asprey started his Bulletproof Radio podcast more than five years ago, he sought out influencers in an array of disciplines, from biochemists toiling in unknown laboratories to business leaders changing the world to meditation masters discovering inner peace. His guests were some of the top performing humans in the world, people who had changed their areas of study or even pioneered entirely new fields. Dave wanted to know: What did they have in common? What mattered most to them? What made them so successful—and what made them tick? At the end of each interview, Dave asked the same question: “What are your top three recommendations for people who want to perform better at being human?”
After performing a statistical analysis of the answers, he found that the wisdom gleaned from these highly successful people could be distilled into three main objectives: finding ways to become smarter, faster, and happier. Game Changers is the culmination of Dave’s years-long immersion in these conversations, offering 46 science-backed, high performance “laws” that are a virtual playbook for how to get better at life.Emotional intelligence is hackable and you do have to do the work but maybe you can do the work more effectively. There can be a fast path instead of a slow one. - @bulletproofexec of @bpnutrition Click To Tweet
Dave Asprey: Game Changers
GAME CHANGERS GIFT GIVEAWAYS
What works for the game changers in this book, can work for you! Bulletproof is giving away $175,000 worth of some of the INCREDIBLE life and wellness enhancing technology and cutting-edge health services and treatments that Dave and others use to live smarter, faster and happier.
Listen To Episode 250 As Dave Asprey Uncovers:
- The various health struggles he has faced in his life and how biohacking helped him find the answers he sought.
- His program, 40 Years of Zen, and the fast-paced meditation benefits you can get from participating in it.
- Why he wrote, Game Changers, in order to answer the question, ‘What are the three most important pieces of advice for someone who wants to perform better at everything they do as a human being?'
- How he came to discover the 46 Laws for High Performance after interviewing hundreds of people.
- Why it's impossible to actually be able to complete every single personal development practice in this lifetime and that's okay.
- His documentary, Moldy Movie, about how there are over 100 million homes in the US with toxic mold which are leading to disease.
- How early trauma including what happens while we're in the womb can affect our personality and fear response as an adult.
- The power of gratitude and how it can help us rewire the brain, stop the negative voice in our head and let go of shame.
- His own gratitude practice and how he lets go of the negative voice in his head.
- How EMDR is an effective tool for therapy and resetting old patterns.
- The common thread and patterns of emotional intelligence and intuition that Dave discovered in these high performers during the interviews he conducted for Game Changers.
- Why he titled the law, Eat Like Your Grandma, rather than title it with the common Paleo phrase, Eat Like A Caveman.
- His definition of consciousness and how it relates to his work with Bulletproof.
- The role that the ego played for him at Bulletproof's beginnings compared to now years later.
- How you can step outside of yourself and look back with a different mindset to see what's actually going on.
- The orgasm hangover for men and how ejaculation sucks their energy so that they're much less likely to be loving, kind, and patient the day after compared to women who feel a higher sense of connection.
- The 4 Laws of Sex in Game Changers explained and how intimacy can lead to an altered state of mind.
- The laws and rules, “Money Doesn't Make You Happy” and “The Power of ‘No.”
- How he uses the power of ‘no' to help him stay balanced and make decisions.
- His own most important three pieces of advice for someone who wants to perform better at everything they do as a human being.
Power Quotes From The ShowThere's so much that we can do on this planet and I don't want to waste time getting to the next challenge. We're here to evolve as human beings. - @bulletproofexec of @bpnutrition Click To Tweet
“Your body is a very powerful pattern matching system and it'll match patterns of threats long before you can think about them. You might feel at unease about something that triggers you and you don't even know why. Then you end up making a story about why you feel that way and the story probably isn't even true. Even worse, we beat ourselves up afterward for reacting to this made up story. The first thing to do to permanently let go of a trauma so that the pattern matching no longer matches the pattern is actually gratitude.” – Dave Asprey
“Consciousness is your ability to be aware of what's actually happening in the world around you instead of your story of what's going on. If you want to be conscious and you want to be free, you have to understand that the ego is part of this ancient bacteria operating system that keeps you alive. The ego isn't going to go away but if you let it drive instead of you, bad things will happen. At Bulletproof, we want to engage people's ego to then dissolve the ego.” – Dave Asprey
“Having a sense of purpose, a mission, and knowing why you're here is a big challenge because if you don't know why you're here, it can be painful. When you're doing things that society, your parents, or trauma tells you that you're supposed to be doing but they're not fulfilling you, that's a pretty good sign that you don't know why you're here. I wish I could tell people really quickly how to know why you're here but it's going to take some work and really deep self-reflection such as journaling or meditation. When your purpose in life comes to you, it'll be really obvious and everything works. When you do other things that don't give you meaning, life sucks. So, find that mission and know why you're here.” – Dave Asprey
“Understand that so much of your decision making is an emergent phenomenon from ancient bacteria who think they're in charge. This probably comes from what's in your gut and the way it talks to the bacteria that run your power systems and your environmental sensing systems. If you understand that you are not the voice in your head, you just share a hardware with it, it's not you and it doesn't even share your best interest at heart, that can unlock so much consciousness, emotional intelligence, and even just the ability to show up, not in a big way, but just to dinner.” – Dave Asprey
Biohack Yourself: A Day With Bulletproof Coffee Founder Dave Asprey | Fast Company
Links From Today's Show
- Dave Asprey
- Game Changers by Dave Asprey
- Bulletproof Radio with Dave Asprey
- Biohacker Meets Spirit Hacker: Shaman Durek #517
- Bulletproof Upgrade Labs
- Bulletproof Cafés
- Head Strong by Dave Asprey
- The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey
- Bulletproof Homebiotic 4 oz Concentrate
- Moldy The Movie – The New Bulletproof Documentary
- Bessel Van Der Kolk M.D.
- 40 Years of Zen
- How to Rewire Your Traumatized Brain
- Bruce Lipton | Epigenetics
- Gabby Bernstein
- Eric Kandel
- Jack Canfield
- Stan Grof
- Esther Perel
- John Gray
- Chapter 11 of Think Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – Sex Transmutation
- WFR 046 Dr. John Gray
About Dave Asprey
Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof and author of New York Times bestseller The Bulletproof Diet, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent two decades and over $1 Million to hack his own biology.
Dave lost 100 pounds without counting calories or excessive exercise, used techniques to upgrade his brain and lift his IQ by 20 points, and lowered his biological age while learning to sleep more efficiently in less time. Learning to do these seemingly impossible things transformed him into a better entrepreneur, a better husband, and a better father.
Dave is the creator of the widely popular Bulletproof Coffee, host of the #1 health podcast, Bulletproof Radio, and author of the New York Times bestselling books, The Bulletproof Diet and Head Strong. Through his work Dave provides information, techniques, and keys to taking control of and improving your biochemistry, your body and your mind so they work in unison, helping you execute at levels far beyond what you’d expect, without burning out, getting sick, or allowing stress to control your decisions.