What's Making Our Children Sick? – Dr. Michelle Perro
“Children are now sicker than their parents for the first time in history. One out of two children now has a chronic disease and this was unheard of as little as two to three decades ago. This is a drastic health change in our lifetime that mostly stems from the gut. No doubt that we are all affected by this gut intestinal permeability, leaking gut, and dysbiosis which is an imbalance of the microorganisms in our gut's micro-biome.” – Dr. Michelle Perro
As a parent, doctor, or educator, how can you step into the role of helping children eat more nutritious, organic foods?
On Wellness + Wisdom episode 231, pediatrician, lecturer and consultant at Gordon Medical Associates, and co-author of What's Making Our Children Sick?, Dr. Michelle Perro, shares her favorite tips and hacks on how to buy, prepare and eat healthy on a budget; which genetically modified, processed ingredients and foods you can easily keep out of your diet; and how organic farming can actually feed everyone, nourish the planet, and combat climate change.
Discover the power of eating organic, drinking filtered water, and taking out inflammatory foods like gluten, processed sugar, and dairy from a diet.
What's Making Our Children Sick?
With chronic disorders among American children reaching epidemic levels, hundreds of thousands of parents are desperately seeking solutions to their children’s declining health, often with little medical guidance from the experts. What’s Making Our Children Sick? convincingly explains how agrochemical industrial production and genetic modification of foods is a culprit in this epidemic. Is it the only culprit? No. Most chronic health disorders have multiple causes and require careful disentanglement and complex treatments. But what if toxicants in our foods are a major culprit, one that, if corrected, could lead to tangible results and increased health? Using patient accounts of their clinical experiences and new medical insights about the pathogenesis of chronic pediatric disorders―taking us into gut dysfunction and the microbiome, as well as the politics of food science―this book connects the dots to explain our kids’ ailing health.
What’s Making Our Children Sick? explores the frightening links between our efforts to create higher-yield, cost-efficient foods and an explosion of childhood morbidity, but it also offers hope and a path to effecting change. The predicament we now face is simple. Agroindustrial “innovation” in a previous era hoped to prevent the ecosystem disaster of DDT predicted in Rachel Carson’s seminal book in 1962, Silent Spring. However, this industrial agriculture movement has created a worse disaster: a toxic environment and, consequently, a toxic food supply. Pesticide use is at an all-time high, despite the fact that biotechnologies aimed to reduce the need for them in the first place. Today these chemicals find their way into our livestock and food crop industries and ultimately onto our plates. Many of these pesticides are the modern-day equivalent of DDT. However, scant research exists on the chemical soup of poisons that our children consume on a daily basis. As our food supply environment reels under the pressures of industrialization via agrochemicals, our kids have become the walking evidence of this failed experiment. What’s Making Our Children Sick? exposes our current predicament and offers insight on the medical responses that are available, both to heal our kids and to reverse the compromised health of our food supply.
Healing with Organic: Dr. Michelle Perro
Listen To Episode 231 As Dr. Michelle Perro Uncovers:
- How she teamed up with local moms in her area to put an end to pesticides being sprayed in their city.
- How educating herself on GMOs completely transformed the way she saw foods and practiced medicine as a pediatrician.
- How parents, doctors, and educators can help children heal their digestive issues by ensuring they eat healthy, nutritious, organic foods.
- What changes we can make as a society to help not only feed the world but nourish everyone in it.
- Why the idea that GMOs increase the number of yields is completely false and actually end up decreasing the yields.
- How organic farming can actually feed everyone, nourish the planet, and combat climate change.
- Why it's no surprise that the majority of people have leaky gut issues with all the GMO grown and processed foods that we find everywhere.
- How genetics, epigenetics, stress level, and nutrition intake affect our leaky gut syndromes on various degrees.
- Why our children are now sicker than ever before and 1 out of every 2 children (adults as well) has a chronic disease.
- What's really going on when people take part in these gut health tests and what they can do with that information.
- Are gut health tests actually necessary or can we just begin to make changes now through an elimination diet?
- How she helps patients begin healing, treating, and supporting their child's gut's health.
- The power of eating organic, drinking filtered water, and taking out inflammatory foods like gluten, processed, sugar, and dairy from your diet.
- Stories of how she has helped child patients combat their stomach pains and gut symptoms.
- How she helps patients begin healing, treating, and supporting their gut's health.
- Tips and hacks on how to buy, prepare and eat healthy on a budget.
- What Eco-medicine is all about including getting to the root of the health problem caused by environmental factors.
- Which genetically modified, processed ingredients and foods you can easily keep out of your diet.
Power Quotes From The Show
“Organic farming isn't only doable but it can feed and heal the planet. As regenerative farming and organic soil remove CO2 from the earth, they also nourish the planet and combat climate change.” – Dr. Michelle Perro
“We have been molded into complacency believing that we're going to be taken care of by the food industry. We've come to falsely believe that they have our best interests at heart and nothing could be further from the truth. They're adding increased processed fats, salt, toxic colors and dyes for you to buy more food and increase their profit; they're not doing it for your health” – Dr. Michelle Perro
“Western medicine has been so beneficial for health; however, it has to be expanded to care for and assist with these chronic health issues that we're seeing because of what we've done to ourselves. Let's not attack western medicine but expand it. We can have a medical curriculum for healthcare practitioners that isn't only based on the pharmacy industry but based on nutrition or supplements and herbal medicine when needed. Herbals have been around for thousands of years. We need to expand our thinking; not contract it. We need to be positive; not negative. I don't say get rid of western medicine; I say expand it to include many forms of healing.” – Dr. Michelle Perro
Dr. Michelle Perro – Food, Family, and Health
Links From Today's Show
- Dr. Michelle Perro
- What's Making Our Children Sick?
- GMO Science
- Gordon Medical Associates
- A Pediatrician’s Viewpoint – GMO Science
- Bulletproof Radio – Gut Health Matters At Every Age: Pediatrician, Michelle Perro #511
- Kirkus Review of What's Making Our Children Sick?
- Dr. Vincanne Adams
- Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey Smith
- Genetic Roulette by Jeffrey Smith
- Árpád Pusztai
- “A New Era for Homeopathic Drug Product Regulation” March 22, 2018 Issue
- WFR 084 Dr. David Perlmutter
- WFR 192 Jason Prall
- WFR 206 Dan Pardi
About Dr. Michelle Perro
Michelle Perro, MD, is a veteran pediatrician with over thirty-five years of experience in acute and integrative medicine. More than ten years ago, Dr. Perro transformed her clinical practice to include pesticide and health advocacy. She has both directed and worked as attending physician from New York’s Metropolitan Hospital to UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. Dr. Perro has managed her own business, Down to Earth Pediatrics. She is currently lecturing and consulting as well as working with Gordon Medical Associates, an integrative health center in Northern California.