Healing Yourself With Movement: RockTape Founders Greg van den Dries & Steven Capobianco
“Although most of us aren't training for the Olympics, we can still go for gold in our everyday activities.” – Greg van den Dries
Whether you're an Olympic athlete or a weekend warrior, we can all go for the gold every day by increasing our capacity for movement and reducing our pain and risk of injury.
Today we are live with Intelliskin at “Rock Stock 2017” with Greg van den Dries & Steven Capobianco, Founders of RockTape, as they explain how kinesiology tape and their various cutting-edge functional tools are helping us increase our physical and emotional intelligence as we begin to move and feel better.
Their elastic therapeutic tape and flagship product, RockTape, recoils in when applied to the skin and creates a biomechanical lifting effect which pulls the skin away from the underlying tissue. This lifting effect from the tape has 2 main functions. It stimulates skin receptors that communicate with the brain and reduces pain and increases your body awareness. Also, fluid dynamics are improved as skin is pulled away from the tissue to improve blood flow and swelling.
Links From Today's Show:
- Rock Tape
- Spartan Race
- Rock Docs
- RockBlades – Mohawk
- Rock Floss
- RockTape's IASTM Tools
- IASTM Courses
- American Chiropractic Association
- American Physical Therapy Association
- RockTape and USA Diving partnership
- IDEA Health & Fitness Association
- IntelliSkin & Wellness Force Partnership
- Sports Chiropractor of the Year (Dr. Tim Brown – 1998)
- Wellness Force Facebook Community
- Rockstock 2018 – RockTape
Listen To Episode 144 as We Uncovers:
- How to use kinesiology tape to improve mobility, prevent injury, and reduce pain
- The way tape mimics a mothers touch and stimulates receptors that bring relief
- How RockTape's superior design keeps the tape in place during exercise
- Using RockFloss compression bands to ‘unstick’ muscles and joints so they move better and with less pain
- How kinesiology tape can be applied as an active cure to assist with current injuries
- The “RockBlade” precision-engineered soft-tissue instruments used reduce pain by improving function of the tissue
- How RockTape can be used to promote faster recovery from training and injury
- Using functional taping for prevention based on your environmental requirements
- How coaches, trainers, and therapists can become a Certified FMT RockTape Medical Professional
- Understanding how the fusion of technology and wellness can improve our proactive care
- How functional taping techniques can increase the longevity of athletes
- The ways that sensor technology is transforming data collection the fitness market
- How to take the data we collect and adjust our routines appropriately
Power Quotes From The Show
“Tape stimulates the same receptors as a mother placing her soothing hand upon your shoulder.” – Greg van den Dries
“Over the past 7 years, we have evolved from a tape-centric company to a movement company.” – Greg van den Dries
“The biomechanical lifting effect stimulates receptors in the brain that reduce pain and improves fluid dynamics.” – Steven Capobianco
“Application isn't the hard part, it's knowing when and why to use the tape.” – Steven Capobianco
“Trainers can use Rocktape as a tool to help guide their clients to better movement.” – Greg van den Dries
“When we begin to move better, we start to feel better.” – Steven Capobianco
“Kinesiology tape is cheap and effective, and people of all experience levels can benefit from it's results.” – Steven Capobianco
“Every year our ‘Rock Docs' recommend new products for their movement toolkit, and we deliver.” – Steven Capobianco
At RockTape, we make products that help people move better.
When people move better, they tend to move more.
More human movement is our goal.
RockBlades – Powerfully Simple Soft-Tissue Tools by RockTape
Welcome to the future of IASTM. RockBlades are comprised of two precision-engineered and manufactured soft-tissue instruments: a “Mallet” and a “Mullet,” RockRub emollient, sanitizing wipes, and a quick-start guide to form a complete IASTM system.
Every detail of RockBlades – each edge, angle and contour – was carefully cultivated and refined over the course of two years.
Say hello to your new IASTM all-star, Mohawk. Perfectly sized and weighted, with an expertly-crafted shape featuring exclusive compatability with our silicone sleeve and ABS/Polycarbonate comb to enable thousands of new treatment possibilities.
Hand polished treatment surfaces, combined with a perfectly balanced and weighted core, make it a joy to use day in and day out.
Matte-finished dimples, four on each side, ensure positive traction of the tool during treatment. Each side and treatment edge is unique – both in shape and radius.
The Mohawk’s non-treatment faces are laser-engraved with RockTape’s manifesto pattern.
RockFloss is a new, reusable mobility tool that can help you move better and with less pain.
RockFloss uses the science of compression and fascial shearing to help ‘unstick’ muscles and joints so they move better and with less pain.
About Greg van den Dries
Greg loves of running, cycling and swimming have contributed to a variety of minor sports injuries, and one of those injuries required physical therapy. The PT treated him and he finished the session by applying some tape to his leg.
When he asked if this was the same tape he had seen during the Olympics, the answer was yes.
Greg was skeptical about the tape, but after a week his injury was healing nicely and he also noticed that his legs felt pretty good after a long ride. He started doing more research on the tape’s effects and that’s when he discovered that the tape can be used to enhance performance. (Going stronger, longer…)
After trying the tape on friends and family with good results, he got excited and talked to a number of companies about buying and selling the tape. The response Greg got was frankly, crazy: no one wanted to sell him tape unless he became “certified” in their specific taping methods. It was their way of making the tape more exclusive and expensive. He decided there had to be a better way to get this great product into the hands of those who needed it, so Greg located a source, modified the formula and formed RockTape.
About Steven Capobianco
Dr. Capobianco holds a B.A. and M.A. in Kinesiology and Exercise Science in addition to a doctorate in Chiropractic Medicine. Steve is a practicing sports chiropractor, currently holding a Diplomate in Rehab from the ACA, in addition he is a Certified Chiropractic Sports Practitioner, and a Performance Enhancement Specialists from the NASM. He is a certified in Active Release and Graston Technique provider that allows him to treat a myriad of musculoskeletal injuries using a combination of hand and tool release therapy.
Steve recently launched a sports specific rehab and performance institute called ProjectMOVE in Denver Colorado that focuses on identifying motor control dysfunction in an attempt to enhance human performance from the professional athlete to weekend warrior.
Steve is an avid athlete with a passion for sports. He has spent 25 years competing in ice hockey, lacrosse, triathlons, adventure racing, and natural bodybuilding. Steve is the Medical Director for Rocktape, pioneering evidence-informed education development that challenges the status quo in movement learning. He authored the Fascial Movement Taping manual and lectures world wide on the movement based taping technique.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.