If you're currently in the process of finding your fit, understand that the road can sometimes feel long, confusing, and at times, defeating.
But what if all the diet plans, workout logs, and protein shakes were actually the furthest thing away from what you actually need to let go of old weight?
What our guest today on the podcast shares, is the compassion connection: how self-compassion plugs into a healthy fitness program, and why it may be the missing key to sustainable behavior change that produces lasting results.
The Compassion – Fitness Connection
As Kathleen Trotter, personal Trainer, Globe and Mail columnist, pilates equipment specialist, Huffington Post blogger and fitness writer with over 15 years experience, knows firsthand, the voices in your head don't always tell the truth:
“Too many of us let “brain propaganda” highjack our lives. You know what I am talking about: “Who cares if I hit the snooze button and miss my workout just this once?” Or, “I can eat this cake — what does it matter?” Or, “Why even try to lose weight… I am just going to fail. I can't do anything right.”
We are all human and thus to some degree will always struggle against unproductive brain propaganda, but it is a matter of what actions you take to counter that propaganda.
To paraphrase what Snape said to Harry Potter, “We all have dark and light inside of us. It is what we DO that defines us.” (Read Kathleen's full article on Huffington Post)
Listen to WFF oo5 As Kathleen Uncovers The Truth About Wellness & Compassion:
- Why perfect is the enemy of done
- The “10 minute rule”
- “Trending positive”
- Understanding “Activation Before Motivation”
- Why certainty is the opposite of growth
- What is your fitness personality?
Kathleen Trotter has been a personal trainer and fitness expert since 2002 and a fitness writer and media expert since 2008. She has been the featured personal trainer in The Globe and Mail’s online Fitness Basics weekly web series since 2002.
Her videos are regularly included in The Globe’s weekly newsletter for subscribers. Kathleen also writes two columns for The Globe and Mail and blogs regularly for The Huffington Post and Healthy Directions magazine. In addition, she has written for Impact Magazine, Breathe, Alive, Canadian Running, Today’s Parent, Chatelaine, and Glow.
Kathleen makes regular TV and media appearances on CTV News, CHCH News, Breakfast Television, and CBC. She has been a guest on the radio shows Beyond the Cheers and the John Oakley Show. Since early 2014 she has worked with Sears Canada as their health ambassador, appearing both in TV and print media.
A selection of Kathleen’s videos are available on her YouTube channel. Recently, Kathleen was hired as a nutritional ambassador for a chain of Mexican restaurants called Quesada, for whom she advocates healthy nutrition choices on the go. On behalf of Quesada, Kathleen makes appearances on Toronto’s Breakfast Television. Her monthly “Trotter’s Tips” can be found in Quesada stores across Canada.
Links From Today's Show
- Kathleen Trotter on Huffington Post: “Silence The Voice In Your Head That Keeps Sabotaging Your Health”
- KathleenTrotter on the web
- KathleenTrotter on Twitter
- KathleenTrotter on facebook
- KathleenTrotter on Instagram
- Wellness Force Radio Episode 051 Gretchen Rubin: The Secret To Habit Change
- Carol Dweck: Mindset
**Win A Signed Copy of Kathleen's Book: Finding Your Fit
Tag @wellnessforce and use #WellnessForce on Instagram to enter!
Winner will be chosen on 6/28/17 and tagged on Instagram
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how these episodes can allow you to break bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order – just enter promo code “wellnessforce” at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.