Anders Varner & Doug Larson From Barbell Shrugged
“For inner strength, you can't just steamroll emotions. You have to deal with them, but first, you must also want to do the work. You have to want to slow down and learn about meditation, emotions, and vulnerability.” – Anders Varner
What can we learn and take away from our pasts to make a brighter future for ourselves?
In this special Wellness Force Radio episode, Hosts of Barbell Shrugged and members of the Shrugged Collective, Anders Varner and Doug Larson, discuss the power we bring to our world when we do something out of love and positive energy rather than fear and anger, how being let go from a job can help you change your frame of reference and actually be a gift, and why the “ego is our amigo” and it's beneficial to pay attention to it but we don't have to listen to it all the time.
Discover how to create a fulfilled life that brings you positive energy, happiness, and motivation every day.[click_to_tweet tweet=”Having everything all together all the time isn't actually a good thing because if you're used to that, then you don't jump into spaces where you don't have it all together. – @DouglasELarson” quote=”Having everything all together all the time isn't actually a good thing because if you're used to that, then you don't jump into spaces where you don't have it all together. – @DouglasELarson”]
The Shrugged Collective
The Shrugged Collective is a network of fitness, health and performance show that help people achieve their physical and mental health goals. Usually in the gym, but outside as well. In 2012 they posted their first Barbell Shrugged podcast and have been putting out weekly free videos and podcasts ever since.
This series of podcasts stars Mike Bledsoe, Doug Larson, Anders Varner, and The Shrugged Collective Team.
Listen As Anders Varner and Doug Larson Uncover:
- The origins of Barbell Shrugged and how they pulled their team together to launch it.
- How their views on life, business, and balancing work have changed since starting their families and becoming parents.
- Different phases of life that we go through including the moment we decide we want to live a healthier life.
- What it is like raising children today in our modern society compared to how life was like for us growing up.
- How we can build resiliency through physical exercise and movement.
- Why the right person to be in a relationship with will come along in our lives when we're being true and authentic to ourselves.
- Josh's bout of altitude sickness while climbing up Mount Whitney and the personal revelation that he experienced at that moment.
- The power of being honest and authentic with both yourself and other people.
- What Wellness Force is all about and what direction it's now going in.
- Why it helps to work with females who have a strong personality and how women can tap into that.
- Whether it is the ego that's what makes us successful or it's a combination of both the ego and the soul.
- Why we have to really want something such as meditation, strength training, or just being healthy to truly put the work into it.
- How the emotional intelligence piece of our lives is actually the growing piece of our entire story.
- Why sometimes we just have to be still and patient to see what the next step in our lives will be.
- Why having it together all the time can actually be a disadvantage.
- Everyone isn't perfect at everything and it's okay to admit that you're not good at something.
- Whether or not personality tests are actually legit for a person to know more about themselves.
- Communicating with people who are very agreeable vs disagreeable.
- What direction Barbell Shrugged is going with their podcast and their plans for the future.
Power Quotes From The Show[click_to_tweet tweet=”For inner strength, you can't just steamroll emotions. You have to deal with them, but first, you must also want to do the work. You have to want to slow down and learn about meditation, emotions, and vulnerability. @AndersVarner” quote=”For inner strength, you can't just steamroll emotions. You have to deal with them, but first, you must also want to do the work. You have to want to slow down and learn about meditation, emotions, and vulnerability. @AndersVarner”]
“Do you think that the more emotionally in touch us males are with ourselves, the more we lose the ego and masculinity that may make us special? Especially in this bubble where everyone is working on their own personal development which Paul Chek calls The Warrior Phase, we believe we've been wrong about ourselves this entire time and now we have to get in touch with ourselves. So, we've all had this ego that we've been listening to for a long time but you don't actually have to pay 100% attention to the alpha-driven ego and lose your masculinity.” – Anders Varner
“In every decision that you make in life, there are positive and negative drivers of those decisions. If you're true to yourself and respectful of others, the more likely you'll be making decisions for positive reasons rather than from the ego and out of fear, frustration, or anger.” – Doug Larson
“The theme of emotional intelligence is really the story of our lives. We could go through life talking about all of our achievements and rewards but there's no good story to them until you start at the beginning of them all. Then, you can see where you started from, how you worked hard for it, your obstacles, and what you learned from the entire process. The emotional intelligence is the growing piece of the entire story.” – Anders Varner
“Getting fired is the greatest gift that anyone could ever give you. Every time you say goodbye to a job, business, or even relationship, you get to fill that space with something wildly more positive which sets the trajectory so much higher in your career, life, and friendships. Getting fired hurts a lot but everything just gets better from there; you'll move past it and it'll bring a lot of value to your life in the end.” – Doug Larson and Anders Varner
Links From Today's Show
- Anders Varner
- Doug Larson
- Shrugged Collective
- Barbell Shrugged Podcast
- Mike Bledsoe
- Spartan Up! Podcast
- Spartan Race
- Joe Rogan
- David Deida
- Dr. Jordan B. Peterson
- WFR 098 Tom Bilyeu
- WFR 129 Gretchen Rubin
- WFR LIVE At Spartan Worlds Lake Tahoe 2017 – Mind Pump
- WFR 226 Paul Chek
- WFR 238 Sefra Alexandra
- WFR 242 Aaron Hinde
About Anders Varner
Anders found the weight room at the age of thirteen and decided he would call it home for the rest of his life. A four-time CrossFit regional competitor and member of John Cena's “One Ton Club,” Anders has trained with and coached athletes from the worlds of the NFL, WWE, and CrossFit.
A true believer in self-discovery, Anders finds his passion in helping the everyday person live a pain-free, empowered life through mindful movement. Anders’ approach has helped transform the lives of stroke victims, pre-and post-partum moms, extreme weight-loss clientele, and individuals recovering from drug and alcohol addiction.
About Doug Larson
Doug Larson is the Co-Owner of Shrugged Collective, Former MMA Fighter, and a current Jiu Jitsu Competitor. He also has a Masters degree in Movement Science and has been lifting for 20 years.
Join The Wellness Warrior VIP Club:
**Click on the photo above to get exclusive discounts on new wellness tools, be first in line for new podcasts, get access to invite-only events, and so much more.**