Kelly Claes & Dr. Tim Brown: Shaping Future Generations Through Movement & Sports
“It didn't really click with me until I was a Junior at the university that there were a lot more factors to wellness. I would wear the Intelliskin a lot to study and to get my posture in check, but I didn't really think about food as a huge factor or how sleep and recovery could greatly affect my performance. There are so many little nuances to wellness and I've begun to integrate that focus into my life.” – Kelly Claes
How can we use movement and sports to support future generations to become more self-aware, build character, and live life well?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 189, Professional Beach Volleyball Player and motivational speaker, Kelly Claes, along with IntelliSkin Inventor, Dr. Tim Brown, share what it means to be fearlessly authentic despite what other people believe, the keystone habits that young athletes can put into practice, and how we can help shape future generations through optimal mindset, movement, and sports.
Find out why skill and talent both pale in comparison to heart, attitude, and ambition when it comes to movement and sports.
Join The Surf Movement Masterclass
Only 2 weeks left to join Dr. Tim Brown and Wellness Force Radio host, Josh Trent, at the 2-day Surf Movement Masterclass at Hurley Headquarters in Costa Mesa, CA on April 28-29.
Head over to wellnessforce.com/Hurley for more information.
The Surf Movement Masterclass is an opportunity for the Surf Healthcare Community to spend two days with experts who treat and train surfers on the WSL Tour and USA Surfing.
They have assembled a dream team panel to discuss the Mind, Body, and Movement of the Surf Athlete. Their MasterClass Faculty will teach movement based restoration through observation, examination, treatment, training, recovery and athlete education.
Join the 2-day Surf Movement MasterClass this April to see, hear, work and play with their MasterClass Faculty.
Listen To Episode 189 As Kelly Claes and Dr. Tim Brown Uncover:
- How she became involved in volleyball and what she loves about it.
- Why height isn't a determining factor for success in volleyball; it's about heart and attitude.
- How they were able to get in contact with each other and how they both share a love for the game of beach volleyball.
- The example she's putting out for the world of volleyball right now.
- What it was like to grow up in an environment heavily focused on athletics.
- Differences between indoor and outdoor volleyball and why she chose outdoor volleyball.
- What fascinates her about wellness as a pro athlete.
- The various injuries and forms of pain she has experienced and still feels.
- What posture issues she was experiencing before she started using Intelliskin and met Tim.
- How she sets up her mindset for positive thinking whenever she experiences an injury.
- Why she's so vocal about her love of video games.
- What it means to be fearlessly authentic despite what other people believe.
- How she remains true and centered in her beliefs around social media.
- What sports can teach us about life and how it drives us to improve and refine our character.
- How taking a breath and singing a song in her head helps calm her down and get rid of the negative voices in her mind.
- How she gets over bad habits and picks up on new skills.
- Her strong Christian faith and how that impacts how she sees life.
- How parents can instill this passion in sports and athletics in their children's interests.
- The example she's setting for teenagers, young adults, and future generations.
- How she uses video games as a way to recover, decompress, and recharge.
Power Quotes From The Show
“For any type of a rotational athlete that's unilateral – a pitcher, quarterback, or volleyball player, there are inherent dangers to only playing with one side of your body. Whether right handed or left handed, we use one side of the body differently than the other. So, I encourage all my athletes to be ambidextrous and use both sides of their body because the body will become more balanced that way.” – Dr. Tim Brown
“My love of video games is what makes me ‘me' and I think everybody's interests are different and whatever you love, you speak more passionately about, you do better at it, and those are the things that you should advocate for and do. Don't try to be anybody else. If you see somebody else being successful in a field, but it's not your passion, then don't try to copy them just because they're doing it. Do what you love.” – Kelly Claes
“It's just a matter of taking the imbalances that volleyball creates and that life has created in Kelly and testing her body through movement methods that allow me to understand what's been overused and overstretched versus what's been underused and undertoned. In the areas that are underused and undertoned, I create length and circulation to allow Kelly and others like her to move towards that symmetry that we never, ever reach.” – Dr. Tim Brown
“I fell in love with outdoor beach volleyball because it's just you and one other person on the court. The chemistry that goes into a partnership is so important. It's so vital to know that other person both on and off the court.” – Kelly Claes
“Being fearlessly authentic means becoming comfortable with yourself. It is recognizing that you are unique and your path is unique. Most people don't want to walk down the same path that others have walked before so they choose to be bold and take a different approach to things and that's what we need to celebrate with future generations. That's what's going to help us grow as a community.” – Dr. Tim Brown
Links From Today's Show
- Kelly Claes
- Dr. Tim Brown
- IntelliSkin & Wellness Force Partnership
- USC Women's Beach Volleyball – Kelly Claes
- Team USA – Kelly Claes
- SANDCAST No. 3: It’s finally (finally) video-game season for Kelly Claes
- Sara Hughes & Kelly Claes: Set to Become The Next Superstars of Beach Volleyball
- Stand Up Tall: IntelliSkin Posture Apparel Put to the Test
- Why Intelliskin?
- Take the IntelliSkin Posture Test With Dr. Tim Brown
- Sports Chiropractor of the Year (Dr. Tim Brown – 1998)
- Dr. Tim Brown: 5 Tibetan Rights
- WFR 117 – The Future of Wellness Technology
- WFR 137 Dr. Tim Brown
- WFR 166 Craig Cooper
About Kelly Claes
About Dr. Tim Brown
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- May 2010
- February 2009