Brian St. Pierre: The 5 Must Have Nutrition Fundamentals
“The fundamentals are principles because they never change. They're not just cool ideas; they're factors that are consistent and important regardless of who you are, where you live, and what you do. So, whether you're an athlete, a stay-at-home mom, or a weekend warrior, all of these factors are important. How you go about following them can differ, but the principles remain the same.” – Brian St. Pierre
What is the biggest roadblock that's keeping you from creating a healthier lifestyle?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 180, Certified Sports Nutritionist, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Author, and the Director of Performance Nutrition at Precision Nutrition, Brian St. Pierre will teach you the 5 Must Have Fundamentals: Nutrition, Sleep, Stress, Movement, and Environment. Plus find out why “calories in, calories out” is the wrong approach, how to increase your NEAT Factor, and how you can to let go of the old weight and gain more energy through nutrition.
Whether you work long hours or you're raising a family, Brian will teach you how to apply the 5 Nutrition Fundamentals to fit your unique lifestyle.[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”25844253″]
ONLINE NUTRITION COACHING
Opening July 2018:
Precision Nutrition Coaching for Men and Women
Need help eating better, improving your health, and getting the body you want? If so, you’re in the right place. Twice a year Precision Nutrition opens their coaching program to men and women who want to look and feel their best. Over the course of 12 months, they help their clients get into the best shape of their lives… and stay that way for good.
Ready to become the fittest, strongest, healthiest version of yourself? Your time is now.
If you’re wondering what Precision Nutrition Coaching could do for you, take a peek at some of the amazing things they've helped clients accomplish:
Listen To Episode 180 As Brian St. Pierre Uncovers:
- Why the idea behind “calories in, calories out,” is incorrect and what other factors play into weight loss such as hormones, stress, and sleep.
- His personal ethos about putting the fundamentals first when it comes to nutrition and living a life full of wellness.
- How to let go of the old weight and gain more energy through nutrition.
- The importance of building specific, fundamental skills around health that you can use under any circumstance in life.
- Why the “all or nothing” mindset is the biggest roadblock that keeps you from creating a healthy lifestyle.
- The fact that people feel so alone when it comes to following their health and wellness journey.
- The 5 Health Fundamentals that everyone needs to know about – Nutrition, Sleep, Stress, Movement, and Environment.
- Why nutrition and movement are typically the first fundamentals that he focuses on with clients.
- The different nutrition trends out there and what you should be doing according to your personalized lifestyle.
- How he integrates emotional intelligence into each of the 5 fundamentals.
- Why doing small experiments on yourself can help you figure what works for your individual health needs.
- How your meal plan can naturally fit your likes and routine.
- The healthy eating habits he created for himself when he was young based on what his family was like.
- How he works with clients who are parents versus those who are single.
- How his own coaching style evolved once he became a parent.
- Your energy levels when you were young adults versus in your 30s, 40s and beyond
- How busy people with families can begin to focus on applying the 5 fundamentals to their life.
- The 4 main components of our metabolism and utilizing energy including the NEAT Factor and our resting metabolic rate.
- How to increase your NEAT Factor in alignment with the 5 Fundamentals.
- The best way to integrate wearables like Fitbit into your NEAT Factor.
Power Quotes From The Show
“So many people get caught up in the latest, new study or theory that comes out and they drop everything they're doing. People begin to eat low-sugar or cut this and cut that out of their diets. Those things might be helpful, but they're not going to apply to everybody. What if I like sugar and some carbs? You can't fit everybody into the same mold. Instead, we should teach specific principles that come across different dietary strategies for people who are Vegan, Keto, or Low-Carb.” – Brian St. Pierre
“A lot of us have this fear of taking the first step. ‘What if I do it and it doesn't work?' We want people to approach the fundamentals as small experiments. You're just playing with these factors to see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can go back to doing something else.” – Brian St. Pierre
“What worked for us in high school or college doesn't work for us anymore as full-grown adults. Back then you didn't have a full-time job, bills to pay, or all these other responsibilities that you now have. Life circumstances really dictate what you're able to do, but there's always something that you can do to stay on track and sustain your healthy lifestyle.” – Brian St. Pierre
“The NEAT Factor is maybe the no. 1 correlation to why people do or do not change weight when they under or overeat. Research has shown that NEAT can vary by up to 2,000 calories a day between people which is an enormous difference.” – Brian St. Pierre
“Your feelings and your emotions are not separate from your body. Your emotions impact your physical world and vice versa. They may be separate systems, but they're fully integrated with each other. Impacting one will impact the other.” – Brian St. Pierre
Links From Today's Show
- Brian St. Pierre
- Precision Nutrition
- Coach Brian St. Pierre of Precision Nutrition
- The High Performance Handbook Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Ultimate Hockey Transformation Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Show and Go Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Can Eating Too Little Actually Damage Your Metabolism? by Brian St. Pierre
- All About Nutrient Timing
- 23 Expert Tips to Help You Overcome The Most Common Coaching Challenges
- Use the NEAT Factor (Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis) to Burn Calories
- Marianne Williamson
- WFR 131 Drew Manning
- WFR 084 Dr. David Perlmutter
- WFR 067 Dr. Jade Teta
About Brian St. Pierre
Brian is a Registered Dietitian (RD) and received his Bachelor’s in Human Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Maine, where he also received his Master’s in Food Science and Human Nutrition. He is a Certified Sports Nutritionist (CISSN) as well as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
Brian worked for three years at Cressey Sports Performance as the head Sports Nutritionist and as a Strength and Conditioning Coach, working with hundreds of athletes and recreational exercisers of all types. During this time, he also authored the High-Performance Handbook Nutrition Guide, Show and Go Nutrition Guide, Ultimate Hockey Nutrition, Ultimate Hockey Transformation Nutrition, and dozens of articles for publication.
Nowadays, Brian is the Director of Performance Nutrition at Precision Nutrition, working with a host of professional sports teams including the San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Browns, and more. He also works closely with Dr. John Berardi as a nutrition educator at Precision Nutrition, writing articles, presenting at seminars, and educating other fitness professionals as part of PN’s Certification courses.
Brian is a regular contributor to the Precision Nutrition blog, and has been featured in Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, Q Magazine, STACK, Testosterone Magazine, and more. He is also regularly featured in many fitness and nutrition podcasts.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- May 2010
- October 2009
- February 2009