Warning: Undefined array key "disable_url" in /nas/content/live/wellnessforce/wp-content/plugins/tweetthis/includes/share-handler.php on line 321
Brian St. Pierre: The 5 Must Have Nutrition Fundamentals
“The fundamentals are principles because they never change. They're not just cool ideas; they're factors that are consistent and important regardless of who you are, where you live, and what you do. So, whether you're an athlete, a stay-at-home mom, or a weekend warrior, all of these factors are important. How you go about following them can differ, but the principles remain the same.” – Brian St. Pierre
What is the biggest roadblock that's keeping you from creating a healthier lifestyle?
In Wellness + Wisdom episode 180, Certified Sports Nutritionist, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Author, and the Director of Performance Nutrition at Precision Nutrition, Brian St. Pierre will teach you the 5 Must Have Fundamentals: Nutrition, Sleep, Stress, Movement, and Environment. Plus find out why “calories in, calories out” is the wrong approach, how to increase your NEAT Factor, and how you can to let go of the old weight and gain more energy through nutrition.
Whether you work long hours or you're raising a family, Brian will teach you how to apply the 5 Nutrition Fundamentals to fit your unique lifestyle.
[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”25844253″]
ONLINE NUTRITION COACHING
Opening July 2018:
Precision Nutrition Coaching for Men and Women
Need help eating better, improving your health, and getting the body you want? If so, you’re in the right place. Twice a year Precision Nutrition opens their coaching program to men and women who want to look and feel their best. Over the course of 12 months, they help their clients get into the best shape of their lives… and stay that way for good.
Ready to become the fittest, strongest, healthiest version of yourself? Your time is now.
If you’re wondering what Precision Nutrition Coaching could do for you, take a peek at some of the amazing things they've helped clients accomplish:
Listen To Episode 180 As Brian St. Pierre Uncovers:
- Why the idea behind “calories in, calories out,” is incorrect and what other factors play into weight loss such as hormones, stress, and sleep.
- His personal ethos about putting the fundamentals first when it comes to nutrition and living a life full of wellness.
- How to let go of the old weight and gain more energy through nutrition.
- The importance of building specific, fundamental skills around health that you can use under any circumstance in life.
- Why the “all or nothing” mindset is the biggest roadblock that keeps you from creating a healthy lifestyle.
- The fact that people feel so alone when it comes to following their health and wellness journey.
- The 5 Health Fundamentals that everyone needs to know about – Nutrition, Sleep, Stress, Movement, and Environment.
- Why nutrition and movement are typically the first fundamentals that he focuses on with clients.
- The different nutrition trends out there and what you should be doing according to your personalized lifestyle.
- How he integrates emotional intelligence into each of the 5 fundamentals.
- Why doing small experiments on yourself can help you figure what works for your individual health needs.
- How your meal plan can naturally fit your likes and routine.
- The healthy eating habits he created for himself when he was young based on what his family was like.
- How he works with clients who are parents versus those who are single.
- How his own coaching style evolved once he became a parent.
- Your energy levels when you were young adults versus in your 30s, 40s and beyond
- How busy people with families can begin to focus on applying the 5 fundamentals to their life.
- The 4 main components of our metabolism and utilizing energy including the NEAT Factor and our resting metabolic rate.
- How to increase your NEAT Factor in alignment with the 5 Fundamentals.
- The best way to integrate wearables like Fitbit into your NEAT Factor.
Power Quotes From The Show
“So many people get caught up in the latest, new study or theory that comes out and they drop everything they're doing. People begin to eat low-sugar or cut this and cut that out of their diets. Those things might be helpful, but they're not going to apply to everybody. What if I like sugar and some carbs? You can't fit everybody into the same mold. Instead, we should teach specific principles that come across different dietary strategies for people who are Vegan, Keto, or Low-Carb.” – Brian St. Pierre
“A lot of us have this fear of taking the first step. ‘What if I do it and it doesn't work?' We want people to approach the fundamentals as small experiments. You're just playing with these factors to see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can go back to doing something else.” – Brian St. Pierre
“What worked for us in high school or college doesn't work for us anymore as full-grown adults. Back then you didn't have a full-time job, bills to pay, or all these other responsibilities that you now have. Life circumstances really dictate what you're able to do, but there's always something that you can do to stay on track and sustain your healthy lifestyle.” – Brian St. Pierre
“The NEAT Factor is maybe the no. 1 correlation to why people do or do not change weight when they under or overeat. Research has shown that NEAT can vary by up to 2,000 calories a day between people which is an enormous difference.” – Brian St. Pierre
“Your feelings and your emotions are not separate from your body. Your emotions impact your physical world and vice versa. They may be separate systems, but they're fully integrated with each other. Impacting one will impact the other.” – Brian St. Pierre
Links From Today's Show
- Brian St. Pierre
- Precision Nutrition
- Coach Brian St. Pierre of Precision Nutrition
- The High Performance Handbook Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Ultimate Hockey Transformation Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Show and Go Nutrition Guide by Brian St. Pierre
- Can Eating Too Little Actually Damage Your Metabolism? by Brian St. Pierre
- All About Nutrient Timing
- 23 Expert Tips to Help You Overcome The Most Common Coaching Challenges
- Use the NEAT Factor (Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis) to Burn Calories
- Marianne Williamson
- WFR 131 Drew Manning
- WFR 084 Dr. David Perlmutter
- WFR 067 Dr. Jade Teta
About Brian St. Pierre
Brian is a Registered Dietitian (RD) and received his Bachelor’s in Human Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Maine, where he also received his Master’s in Food Science and Human Nutrition. He is a Certified Sports Nutritionist (CISSN) as well as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
Brian worked for three years at Cressey Sports Performance as the head Sports Nutritionist and as a Strength and Conditioning Coach, working with hundreds of athletes and recreational exercisers of all types. During this time, he also authored the High-Performance Handbook Nutrition Guide, Show and Go Nutrition Guide, Ultimate Hockey Nutrition, Ultimate Hockey Transformation Nutrition, and dozens of articles for publication.
Nowadays, Brian is the Director of Performance Nutrition at Precision Nutrition, working with a host of professional sports teams including the San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Browns, and more. He also works closely with Dr. John Berardi as a nutrition educator at Precision Nutrition, writing articles, presenting at seminars, and educating other fitness professionals as part of PN’s Certification courses.
Brian is a regular contributor to the Precision Nutrition blog, and has been featured in Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, Q Magazine, STACK, Testosterone Magazine, and more. He is also regularly featured in many fitness and nutrition podcasts.