Brett Hoebel: Finding Strength In Your Struggle
On this week’s podcast, celebrity trainer of NBC's The Biggest Loser season 11, Brett Hoebel, discusses how we all can discover our unique healthy life, why our struggle can be our greatest gift, and how we can get clear on the choices that will truly make a difference.
Finding Strength In Your Struggle
On this show, Brett shares his own story about when he experienced his own “Fitting Point” moment as a teenager. This would be a key moment in his life that led him to find his new, inner strength to overcome his struggles with poor nutrition.
Without knowing it then, this new lifestyle change and a passion for fitness would lead him to have a career that he loves as one of best known trainers in the health and fitness community.
In a world where we follow busy schedules that can include a family, a career, and other commitments, it can be difficult to find the time and motivation to fit in a good workout.
Living a healthy lifestyle can be even more difficult if we’re battling inner demons that keep us from being the best that we can be both inside and outside the gym.
How To Find Fitness From Within
The reality is that if you force yourself to exercise or eat healthy foods without the right passion for it, you will always see changing your lifestyle as something negative. With this attitude, you will view these changes as something that you have to have happen and not what you truly get to let happen.
“At some point, you will see a lifestyle change as something positive when you finally find a personal connection to fitness. This connection gets to be be something that moves you forward on an emotional level.” – Brett Hoebel
It can become very tiresome and boring to do the same exercises week after week. To change it up, Brett recommends finding something that truly energizes you and makes you excited to live a fitter life- in or outside the gym walls.
Brett, for example, really enjoys taking the time to do Salsa dancing classes before getting into his workout.
Takeaway: Do whatever works for you to make you happy and feel motivated!
Discovering Your Fitting Point
As easy as it may sound, finding your passion to live a healthy lifestyle is not always so simple. Life comes with so many different obstacles and curve balls that can stop us or put us off track from exercising, eating nutritious foods, and enjoying living healthy.
Even Brett went through many struggles as an overweight teenager. He was involved in many sports growing up, but would overeat unhealthy foods with gluten and sugar that were against the diet he was supposed to be following. In denial of his emotional eating disorder and at rock-bottom, he had a sudden revelation and found his “Fitting Point.”
The Fitting Point is when a person has found a moment in their life when they find inner strength and realize a change needs to be made for them to become healthy. This change may be trying to schedule a time to workout out more or, like Brett, stop eating unhealthy, processed foods and eat more natural foods.
Identifying Your Life Passion
It can be a long journey to discover what drives you to be excited about living healthy.
Similarly, you may also face different paths and interests by attending different classes and switching careers before you truly find a major or job that you can be passionate about each day.
When Brett began college, he was not doing as well as he had hoped to do and just wasn’t excited about what he was studying. With some advice from his father, Brett decided to change his major to Pre-Med because he really loved studying science. By changing his major, Brett was finally excited about his classes and had the motivation to do better in school.
This switch greatly helped Brett, but he soon found out that a Pre-Med major was not his true calling because it lacked the human interaction that he really enjoys. With another revelation, Brett discovered that fitness was his true passion. This would eventually lead him down a new path to his successful career as a fitness trainer.
We will all go through some difficult moments in life when we don’t feel passionate about what we’re doing. But if we dig down deep and think about what truly makes us happy, it will lead us to something that we truly love.
It can take time, sometimes lots of time, but when you find your calling, you will realize that everything that led up to that moment helped you along the way and the journey was worth it.
More About Brett
As the author and creator of the revolutionary 20 Minute Body™ book and DVDs, and celebrity trainer on NBC’s The Biggest Loser season 11, Brett Hoebel is one of the country’s most sought-after experts for fast fat-loss, nutrition and motivation.
He was also one of the health and fitness experts on Food Network’s Fat Chef, as well as the brains behind the RevAbs® DVDs from Beachbody (producers of P90-X).Greatist named Brett one of the world’s “Top 100 Health and Fitness Influencers” with others including Michelle Obama and Jillian Michaels; and has been touted as “Best of New York” by New York Magazine and Allure.
His “fitness from within” philosophy and body-mind approach come from his struggles as an overweight teenager and diverse experiences in different Eastern and Western disciplines, including his martial arts training in capoeira while in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
Resources Mentioned In The Show
- Brett’s website
- The 20 Minute Body website
- Brett’s Facebook page
- Brett’s Twitter
- Brett’s Instagram
- NBC’s The Biggest Loser
- Fat Chef on The Food Network with Brett Hoebel
- NY Times article about The Biggest Loser
- Our podcast with Gretchen Rubin: The Secret to Habit Change
- The bodybugg calorie management system
- The Basis Peak Ultimate Fitness and Sleep Tracker
Listen To Brett Uncover
- How to find the motivation and inspiration to be fit.
- His past and struggles as an overweight teenager.
- How to know if you are at the Fitting Point and finding your drive within to exercise and make changes to your life.
- His longing to find belonging at school as a child while following a strict diet.
- His experience growing up with a variety of different sports.
- How his mother helped him improve his nutrition habits by giving him advice on what healthy foods to eat.
- How his dad helped him discover what he wanted to study in college.
- His journey to becoming a personal trainer.
- How he was chosen to be on The Biggest Loser.
- What happens when The Biggest Loser seasons are done?
- How The Biggest Loser contestants have been able to keep the weight off.
- How you can stick to a new workout and nutrition program.
- What technology he uses to help train The Biggest Loser contestants and other clients.
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard! I thrive to serve better based on your words, feedback, and requests for the Wellness Force Community. (including breaking bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Want to avoid more trips to the store and save hundreds of dollars a year on superfood supplements?
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order – just enter promo code “wellnessforce” at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live!
Get Your Free Audio Book
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life:
- Download your free Digital Health Transformation Guide: wellnessforce.com/radio
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love! I do the same thing for the people, things, and movements I care about as well.
PS: Looks like you and I share the same passion. I'm grateful for you and want to extend you my email address.
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life!