Finding Mastery: Micheal Gervais
“An authentic expression of oneself is right at the center of what mastery looks like and feels like. That is available to all of us, but it requires an inward journey. There's a real journey that's required to get to the core insights of what makes you ‘you.' Fulfillment, peace, happiness, and high performance all happen in the present moment. So, conditioning our minds to be in the present moment eventually becomes a skill which turns into the state of being aware of your surroundings. Before you know it, that state of awareness becomes a trait. That's the true practice of mindfulness.” – Dr. Michael Gervais
Is there a common thread connecting how the greatest performers in the world use their minds to pursue the boundaries of human potential?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 201, licensed psychologist, Co-founder of Compete to Create, and Podcast Host of Finding Mastery, Dr. Michael Gervais, explains what ‘cognitive shifting' is, how you can facilitate the right amount of stress in order to adapt and improve, and how you can get started on your own spiritual path to create more space for yourself.
By the end of this episode, you'll be equipped with the tools to train the internal noise, self-dialogue, and meaning-making machine that is your mind.
Finding Mastery Podcast
Finding Mastery explores how the best in the world master their craft.
Host and high-performance psychologist, Dr. Michael Gervais, interviews people excelling in the most hostile environments to discover the mental skills used to push the boundaries.
Each episode features inspiring stories from the world’s best athletes, brilliant business minds, and the musicians and artists changing our perspective of what’s possible. Thoughtful, spontaneous, and engaging, Dr. Michael Gervais provides insights to help listeners live connected to their potential and pursue their very best.
Dr. Gervais’ unique perspective and expertise are relevant to many different industries and audiences.
Past guests include, Mercedes Benz Formula 1 Owner Toto Wolff, Microsoft’s CFO Amy Hood, ultramarathoner David Goggins, two-time Olympic gold medalist and FIFA Women’s World Cup Champion Carli Lloyd, CEO of Amusement Park Entertainment Jimmy Smith, Pixar’s CFO Lawrence Levy, Seattle Seahawks Head Coach, Pete Carroll, big wave surfer Ian Walsh, among many others.
Listen To Episode 201 As Dr. Michael Gervais Uncovers:
- What you can do to better handle ongoing distractions in your life.
- Why multitasking doesn't exist and its true name is, ‘cognitive shifting.'
- What it actually means to say, “I'm busy,” today compared to in the past.
- The old wealth of material possessions compared to the new wealth of being able to have a quality life experience.
- The importance of people sharing their own experiences of self-discovery and how they've connected the mind, body, and soul.
- How the human body is able to maintain so much stress for so long and how it can let go of those negative emotions.
- The process of creating adaptations by utilizing the right amount of stress.
- Why people have such a hard time with being emotional and vulnerable.
- The messages that the ancient brain feeds you when you are feeling devastated by rejection or an extreme event and whether or not we can overcome that.
- Why betrayal is the thing that we're the most afraid of.
- Being authentic and truthful about what happens to you and your emotions.
- What it means to be human and to perform to our optimal potential.
- The time that we can allow ourselves to be able to go to the gym, meditate, eat healthily, and focus more on our wellness.
- How we can find and express our true selves through the work that we do.
- Why there's no such thing as rivalry and we really need everyone to help us become the best version of ourselves.
- His experience teaching mindfulness through meditation to top businesses.
- How to overcome your fears through systematic desensitization.
- What you can do to get started on your own spiritual path to create more space for yourself.
- Mindset training and how to go about it in your own terms.
Power Quotes From The Show
“The new currency is attention. Today we are aware that multitasking doesn't exist and it's actually called ‘cognitive shifting.' When we shift cognitively from one thought or activity to another, there's cost to it. There's a cost of time and a cost of depth. So, multitasking is a symptom of wanting to do a lot in life. Being busy used to be a badge of honor but it's no longer like that. When we say we're busy, it doesn't mean that we're in high demand and we're doing good work; it means that we're not organizing our life purpose well enough and we haven't figured out how to have dignity and regard for the way we spend our time as far as quality and quantity.” – Dr. Michael Gervais
“The old wealth was having a big car, nice watch, and getting a lot of attention, but the new wealth today is not that. The new wealth is the output of the quality of the inner experience. Today, people are deeply committed to exploring the nuances of their talents.” – Dr. Michael Gervais
“The idea is not to escape stress but to understand how we create it and how we work with it. No one is going to get good at anything without a little stress. Stress is really about change and eventual adaptation. So, what we're really looking for is the ability to trust ourselves in the present moment so that we can be present enough to embrace the unpredictable, unfolding unknown which is always right now. That's not easy to do; especially when we have this internal noise, self-dialogue, and meaning-making machine of our mind that's often times undisciplined because it's untrained.” – Dr. Michael Gervais
“If the new currency is attention, there is no ‘extra.' Attention is what allows us to come back to the present moment and we need the mental skills to be able to do that. Therefore, there is no time for anything ‘extra' because there's always an option to do more and I think many of us have come to be based this way based on the Industrial Revolution and we have this intense pride of work. This idea that we always have to be working hard around the clock has migrated across several generations. We've come to believe that we need to do more in order to be more. We can do all we want, but it will never provide what it feels like to be ‘you.' ” – Dr. Michael Gervais
7 Minute Mindfulness Meditation
Michael Gervais (Seattle Seahawks): The psychology of pressure
Links From Today's Show
- Dr. Michael Gervais
- Finding Mastery
- Compete to Create
- Finding Mastery Podcast
- Finding Mastery Tribe
- Pete Carroll
- Brian Mackenzie
- Jordan Peterson
- Brené Brown
- Alex Honnold Climbs Yosemite's El Capitan Without a Rope
- Cat Stevens
- In Search of Mastery with Dr. Michael Gervais: How to Develop a High-Performance Mindset
- How to Build Self-Confidence – Michael Gervais
- OSF 055 Katie & Gay Hendricks
- OSF 177 Dr. Cortney Warren
About Dr. Michael Gervais
Co-founder of Compete to Create, a licensed psychologist and industry visionary, Dr.Michael Gervais focuses most of his time on people at the “top of their game,” from the NFL's Seattle Seahawks and NBA players to Olympians, military personnel, and corporate leaders. Spending years in the trenches of high-stakes circumstances, Gervais has developed clarity for the tools that allow people to “thrive under pressure.” Gervais is a published, peer-reviewed author and a nationally recognized speaker on issues related to high performance for those who excel on the largest stages in the world.
He is also the host of Finding Mastery, a podcast that takes you inside the rugged and high-stakes environments of those on the path of mastery to explore how they train minds to be at their very best. Gervais unpacks and decodes each guest’s journey, psychological framework and mindset skills and practices.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.