Being Strong For A Modern World: Matt Vincent
“There's no exact amount of hard work that will guarantee success. We often get caught up on what success really is but if we can change that focus to ‘hard work done consistently equals progress' then we're sure to be better than yesterday.” – Matt Vincent
How can you become stronger by exploring your own inner hate, self-loathing, and darkness?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 240, Strength Athlete, Two Times Highland Games Champion, Founder of HVIII Brand Goods, Author of Training Lab, Matt Vincent, shares what steps you can take to begin to own your power, how you can actually grow through hate, and why your success is all up to you.
Find out what good can come from diving into yourself to uncover and heal from your own demons.
HVII Brand Goods
HVIII (sound it out: H+Roman Numeral ‘VIII') is a strong term that many will find negative. Good. So do I. I refuse to not get better. It is not an option. I will make the sacrifices necessary to be the best. This attack on the self is necessary because if I don’t train every day with the intention of destroying the old me, then I’m missing something. This is the fire I feel, that I want you to feel. This is the fire, the hate, the motivation for improvement.
HVIII Brand Goods is a lifestyle brand that is based on a very simple philosophy: Turn negativity into positive results. Everyone has doubts, everyone worries about just how much they can accomplish. Don't hide from those thoughts; let them drive you. Find adventure, chase strength, build something. Whatever you choose to do, put your whole self into it and enjoy yourself in the process. The process is everything.
At HVIII Brand Goods, we make apparel and accessories with an emphasis on style and quality. Every item we create starts with a basic idea: Is this something we would want for ourselves? If the answer is ‘yes' then we obsess over getting it just right so we can share it with you. Carrying the HVIII Brand Goods message on your body is a statement of support, and we take that seriously. Loyalty above all. You deserve our best, and we attack every day with the purpose of giving it to you.
How I Built HVIII Brand Goods
Listen To Episode 240 As Matt Vincent Uncovers:
- How he created the philosophy of HVIII Brand Goods: “The spirit of self-improvement through self-loathing.”
- This renewal of reconnecting with others and really looking for a tribe through groups like CrossFit.
- The power of going outside of your own suffering and still be there for your team so you can win together.
- His morning routine being relaxed vs. getting fired up with exercise, movement, cold tub, and coffee.
- What he learned from the process he went through when his dad passed away from pancreatic cancer.
- What the term ‘hate' means to him and why he finds it so motivating.
- How he stays authentic in his social media platforms, videos, and the HVIII brand.
- His past experience working in sales and what he took away from it.
- Levels of consciousness: How much he has grown since he worked in sales to beginning HVIII.
- What he's learned about himself, success, and hard work by completing tasks by himself compared to with his team.
- Why pain and trauma are not a competition and we're all dealing with our own issues at our own full capacity.
- How he balances all aspects of his health, business, and relationships.
- What he does when finds he's out of balance with work and personal relationships.
- The inner work he did before he met his wife and how they've both grown since then.
- How he defines himself and stays authentic to who he is.
- What the Highland Games is and what he loves the most about throwing and being an athlete.
- His experience with injuries and what he went through mentally during some of the toughest moments of his throwing career.
- Where he's planning for his company, HVIII Brand Goods, to go in the future.
- The power of saying ‘no' to what you don't want to do and focusing on getting to do what you love.
- The most he's learned from his wife when it comes to strength training and mindset.
Power Quotes From The Show
“No one owes you success; the universe doesn't care. If this is what you want, you do it but you do it for yourself and nobody else. Quit focusing on the mindset of, ‘If I just get there, all of this will be okay,' because there is no ‘there;' it's all just a journey and a process. So, learn to live in that because that's where we are now.” – Matt Vincent
“‘At some point, we have to realize that pain and trauma are not a competition.' Everyone is dealing at 100% all the time for them. People are just doing the best they can with the tools they're given.” – Matt Vincent quoting David Choe.
“Knowing yourself is so important. You have to dive into the dark parts of yourself. Pretending they don't exist doesn't make them not exist. If you've got darkness, that's okay. You don't get to experience the good without the bad.” – Matt Vincent
“I don't want me to care more about your success than you do. That can't work; you have to care and be the one to instill it in you that this is the standard, this is the line that we hold, and this is non-negotiable. You have to hate yourself enough to do the work. Good enough isn't good enough today. Perform when it counts and like anything else, that's a knife that can be sharpened.” – Matt Vincent
” ‘Comparison is the thief of joy.' Own your work and do it for you. If you're doing it for someone else, that's not sustainable either.” – Matt Vincent
Pain Isn't A Competition
Links From Today's Show
- Matt Vincent
- HVIII Brand Goods
- UMSO Podcast
- Training Lab by Matt Vincent
- Spartan Race World Championships
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook – Gary Vaynerchuk
- Jordan Peterson
- Alan Watts
- Carl Jung
- Brené Brown
- Joe Rogan
- Tony Robbins
- Dana Linn Bailey
- Kelly Starrett
- Mark Bell
- WFR 086 Mark Divine
- WFR 196 Aubrey Marcus
About Matt Vincent
Matt Vincent is a traveling strength athlete, two-time Highland Games World Champion, and founder of HVIII Brand Goods. Through his travels, Matt was lucky enough to spend time with exceptional people who were chasing strength, fulfillment, and personal growth in every imaginable way. In Matt's first book, Training Lab, he spelled out the philosophy of “The HVIII,” and tried to capture the spirit of self-improvement through self-loathing. This idea would serve as the spark that led to HVIII Brand Goods and a ton of adventures afterward. Matt chronicles his travels and conversations with people in the strength game and beyond on his podcast UMSO.
Join The Wellness Warrior VIP Club:
**Click on the photo above to get exclusive discounts on new wellness tools, be first in line for new podcasts, get access to invite-only events, and so much more.**
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.
- Anders Varner & Doug Larson From Barbell Shrugged ( November 15, 2018 )
- Love Radar: Crista Beck ( November 12, 2018 )
- Emotional Obesity: Laura Coe ( November 5, 2018 )
- Mastering The Mind For Business & Life: Aaron Hinde ( November 1, 2018 )
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- May 2010
- October 2009
- February 2009