If you've been counting calories and exercising as part of a health and wellness program, there can come a time when the scale suddenly stops moving.
But beyond the horizon of the fitness industry's fetish with the scale and dogmatism of “calories in vs. calories out and “eat less, exercise more” lies the truth about what our body really craves:
Our undivided attention to the metabolism.
On episode 067, Dr. Jade Teta stops by the studio with Josh Trent to share his decades of experience working with the human metabolism, and uncover the top 5 metabolic myths that are holding people back from having real health and wellness.
By teaching us how to understand our individual and unique metabolism, Dr. Jade Teta's methods prove how we can keep our bodies, hormones, and energy in check.
Dr. Jade Teta is an integrative physician, naturopath, and personal trainer with over 25 years of experience helping people achieve their health, weight loss, and fitness goals.
He is the founder & CEO of Metabolic Effect Inc., and author of the best-selling book, The Metabolic Effect Diet. He is a regular contributor to many publications, including The Huffington Post, and the Textbook of Natural Medicine, the number one natural medicine textbook used in medical schools across the country.
Jade has completed an estimated 10,000 workouts in his lifetime, and has worked with thousands of weight loss and fitness seekers from all over the world through his Metabolic Effect Clinic and online programs.
The Metabolic Effect
Each person's body is different and therefore, the metabolism of each person is not the same as another's. Dr. Jade learned this the hard way during medical school when his busy schedule was getting in the way of him eating and exercising properly.
After months of continuously gaining weight by consuming unhealthy foods and drinking so-called “healthy” juices from places such as Jamba Juice, Jade had a revelation about metabolism. It was then and there that the theory of the Metabolic Effect was born.
When we're young, our metabolism can be easily calculated, but it's not the same as our bodies change as we age. This is when you need to become a metabolic detective to better understand your body. Discover what foods work for you and what doesn't anymore.
How to Become a Metabolic Detective, Not a Dieter
The difference between being a detective and being a dieter is that a dieter goes by rules. Unfortunately, being a dieter is not the best path to living a healthy lifestyle because all of these rules can really restrict a person as far as their diet and they can feel stuck. Once a dieter is done with one diet and its rules, they just move onto the next one hoping that it will show them the results they want.
To be a detective, you can't follow strict rules of eating only certain foods. Instead, you need to follow guidelines and structured flexibility to help find your best way to approach nutrition.
The first step to becoming a metabolic detective and not a dieter is to understand that everyone's metabolism is different.
Once you know that, you can learn how to keep your metabolism in balance.
How to Keep Your Metabolism in Balance
There are two key ways that you can keep your metabolism in balance. One is HEC and the other is the Golidlocks Zone.
HEC biofeedback clues can also include anything from exercise, mood, sleep, digestion, headaches, and libido can also tell us a lot about our hormonal balance.
The Goldilocks Zone is all about balancing the body to make sure that the metabolism is in check. Think of a seesaw that represents your body. This seesaw needs to be perfectly balanced by not taking too much, not taking too little, but just the right amount of everything including fats, carbohydrates, exercise, stress, sleep etc.
Try to aim for your personal Goldilocks Point by seeing how many carbohydrates you can consume while still being able to show results by working out, getting enough sleep, meditating etc. to keep your HEC in check. You may have to adjust your diet by taking out different foods and adding in new substitutes to help stay balanced.
The 5 Metabolic Myths
During today's podcast, Jade and I spoke about the 5 Metabolic Myths:
1. You'll get sustainable, predictable, linear, and fair results if you follow a guidebook AND The body is able to easily burn fat and build at the same time
The truth: As previously discussed in this blog, all of our bodies are different and you can only truly find results with trial and error to try to keep HEC in check.
The body is only able to easily burn fat and build muscle at the same time if a) you're a beginner to fitness or b) you're taking steroids and other supplements. Once you've been working out constantly, you'll find that your metabolism won't do both at the same time. To burn fat and gain muscle, you need to switch up with different exercises and eating habits.
2. All you need to worry about are calories.
The truth: If you cut calories on purpose, your metabolism will increase your feelings for hunger and increase your metabolic rate.
3. Hormones work in isolation and are either good like human growth hormone or bad like cortisol.
The truth: Metabolism has multiple mechanisms that it overlaps and works with hormones.
4. There is no good way to assess the balance of hormones without blood testing.
The truth: You need to look at different areas including your blood to fully understand your hormones and what your body needs in order to be balanced.
5. The metabolism of leading people and overweight people work in the same way.
The truth: All of our bodies are different. Each obese person is different and each lean person is resistant.
The 4 METABOLIC TOGGLES
These are 4 quadrants to help keep your HEC in check:
- ELEL: eat less exercise less
- ELEM: eat less, exercise more
- EMEL: eat more, exercise less
- EMEM: eat more exercise more
“Your greatest difficulty is with yourself; for you are your own stumbling-block. You do not know what you want. You are better at approving the right course, than at following it out. You see where the true happiness lies, but you have not the courage to attain it.” – Roman Philosopher Seneca
What You’ll Hear On Today’s Show
[0:00] Wellness Force Opening
[1:45] Introduction to Dr. Jade Teta
[3:20] What is something that people don't know about you that's funny?
[5:15] What's your own personal story about overworking and over-training? What lead you to begin learning about the metabolic effect?
[10:25] What's the difference between being a detective and being a dieter?
[12:50] What is HEC or Hunger Energy Cravings?
[16:50] What's the Goldilocks Zone for Hunger?
[20:00] How do we know when to add in starch or fat when trying to be balanced?
[26:00] What are the 5 Metabolism Myths?
[48:50] How do you know if you're facing Metabolic Damage? Can you reverse it?
[54:00] How do our emotions come into play with keeping our HEC in check?
[1:05:50] What's a Fear PR? Can you tell us about your new book?
[1:09:45] Episode Closing
Resources Mentioned In The Show
- Dr. Jade Teta and the Metabolic Effect
- The Metabolic Effect Diet by Dr. Jade Teta
- ME Is The New You
- Dr. Jade Teta's Huffington Post articles
- Lose Weight Here: The Metabolic Secret to Target Stubborn Fat and Fix Your Problem Areas by Dr. Jade Teta
- Charles Duhigg
- Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Listen To Dr. Jade Share
- How to become a metabolic detective
- The 5 Metabolism Myths
- HEC or Hunger Energy Cravings
- The Goldilocks Zone
- Starting Line foods (protein, fiber, water)
- How do we know when to cut out certain foods to keep in balance?
- How do we know to add in fat or starch?
- How to create a flexible, structured diet around your personal metabolism.
- How to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time.
- How are metabolism adapts to our different situations.
- How do you know if you're facing Metabolic Damage?
- How to keep your emotions and stress in balance while keeping our HEC in check.
- How our willpower and health come into play.
- The law of metabolic multitasking
- The law of metabolic efficiency
- The law of metabolic individuality
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard! I thrive to serve better based on your words, feedback, and requests for the Wellness Force Community. (including breaking bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Want to avoid more trips to the store and save hundreds of dollars a year on superfood supplements?
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order – just enter promo code “wellnessforce” at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live!
Get Your Free Audio Book
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life:
- Download your free Digital Health Transformation Guide: wellnessforce.com/radio
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love! I do the same thing for the people, things, and movements I care about as well.
PS: Looks like you and I share the same passion. I'm grateful for you and want to extend you my email address.
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life!
- The Immune System Recovery Plan – Dr. Susan Blum ( April 25, 2017 )
- What’s Eating You? – Zlata Sushchik ( April 18, 2017 )
- The Secret Life of Fat – Dr. Sylvia Tara ( April 11, 2017 )
- Happiness & Wellness In A Digital World – Dr. Anna Akbari ( April 4, 2017 )
Subscribe on iTunes
This Week’s Episode
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- May 2010
- February 2009