Anna Vocino: How To Eat Happy
“My brain changed when I changed the way I ate. Fat will stabilize your brain and it's a very nice thing; especially if you're subject to blood sugar swings and moods.” – Anna Vocino
Have you ever found yourself obsessing over a food label by reading and analyzing every single ingredient listed on the package?
Whatever happened to enjoying whole, nutritious meals that you can cook at home with simple ingredients like vegetables and meat? When did everything become so complicated?
Join us on Wellness Force Radio 155 as mother, comedian, actor, voice-over artist, best selling author of Eat Happy and the upcoming Eat Happy, Too, as well as the Co-Host of the top iTunes Health and Fitness podcast, Fitness Confidential with Vinnie Tortorich, Anna Vocino, shares how eating healthy can be enjoyable. Anna, who is Celiac and has been gluten-free since 2002, discusses how she was able to begin following a healthy diet while also eating delicious foods to help heal her body and stay strong.
Discover why the phrase, “If you have your health, then you have everything,” is true on so many levels. The weight loss will come, but if that's your only focus, then the real health benefits will be harder to find.'Life happens. Things are going to happen and sometimes you'll be able to stick to a way of eating, but other times emotional issues will get the better of you. That's okay. When you're done emotionally eating, you'll simply be done with it.' - @AnnaVocinoClick To Tweet
Eat Happy | Eat Happy Too by Anna Vocino
Eat Happy: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Low Carb Recipes Made from Real Foods For A Joyful Life has 154 delicious grain-free, gluten-free recipes that are also free of any processed sugars. There are meats, fish, sides, soups, starters, casseroles, slow cooker recipes, breakfast dishes, and even desserts to satisfy any sweets craving you might have, all with virtually no sugar. If you are low carb, paleo, are wanting to keep autoimmune issues at bay, or just want to lose extra weight, Eat Happy gives you comfort food where you won’t miss the sugars or grains so your body and brain can feel happy from eating real foods.
In 2012, after almost ten years of being gluten free due to celiac, Anna Vocino found she was gaining weight faster than a tick on a labradoodle. Turns out the culprit wasn’t overeating or too much fat in the diet, but the pesky sugars and grains in all those gluten free comfort foods. When Anna started podcasting with Fitness Confidential author Vinnie Tortorich, she adapted her entire way of eating to do what Tortorich coined: NSNG—No Sugars No Grains. Sure enough, the weight dropped off, the inflammation due to celiac finally calmed down, and for the first time in her life, she learned what it meant to be truly happy about food.
All of Anna’s recipes are delicious, easy to make, and so satisfying, you won’t even know you’re eating healthy. Craving rich, decadent chocolate pots with fresh cream that are delicious but not fattening? Wanna make a grain-free pizza crust that actually helps you lose weight? Dying for pancakes, but you’ve committed to avoiding carbs? How about hearty shepherd’s pie, tater tots, sizzling ginger rice, all made with cauliflower instead of high carb rice and potatoes? Eat Happy offers low carb comfort foods to please the entire family.
Want more amazing, healthy recipes? Anna will be releasing her next cookbook, Eat Happy, Too: More Gluten Free, Grain Free, Low Carb Recipes Made from Real Foods for a Joyful Life on April 1, 2018.
Listen To Episode 155 As Anna Vocino Uncovers:
- How Anna met Vinnie Tortorich and joined his podcast, Fitness Confidential.
- All about Anna's first podcast, Yoda and Me
- Anna's journey towards success in Hollywood.
- How Anna found out that she was Celiac in 2002 and how that shifted her life.
- Common signs of Celiac Disease. Can you tell when you eat gluten or is testing the only way to really know?
- About Anna's awesome cookbook, Eat Happy: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Low Carb Recipes Made from Real Foods For A Joyful Life
- How Vinnie Tortorich inspired her to live a No Sugars, No Grains lifestyle.
- The moment Anna lost her mother and how that affected her mentality around food.
- Anna's method of daily checking in with herself about her emotional connection with food.
- How healthy fats don't only help keep you full, but your mind clear and sharp as well.
- Why cleaning out your kitchen can be such a great power move to approaching nutrition.
- The challenge of getting your family on board to eat healthier with you at home.
- The biggest benefit when she shifted her diet in 2002.
- Why counting calories is so pervasive because your ancestors never counted them. They just ate what they wanted.
- Anna's experience with being anorexic from ages 15-17 and craving being in control around food.
- Intermittent fasting and how it might trigger certain emotions, thoughts, and the need to be controlling with food.
- Working with a functional medicine doctor for check-ups and treatments for hyperthyroidism and the different tests she has taken.
- How other people in marriages or relationships can work together to shift and accept the other person's decision to follow a No Sugars, No Grains diet.
- How you can become more vocal about the changes you want to see in the food industry.
- Her daughter being diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and how Anna is helping her cope with it while also beginning college.
Excited to starting baking in the kitchen with all natural ingredients? Click here to buy the best chocolate for your cookies!
Power Quotes From The Show'For me, food is a happy thing and I want to be free to make choices. To be able to choose what I want to eat and make it really yummy, fresh, and from whole foods - that's really important to me.'- @AnnaVocino Click To Tweet
“The idea of ‘letting go of weight' has always been a vanity trigger for me. The real benefits are the health benefits and being happier by stabilizing my brain. Losing weight is everything to people, but it's really not. Losing the weight is the second benefit that comes after enjoying life more.” – Anna Vocino
“When I get emotionally involved, I just want to munch on something like almonds to help me deal with my feelings. That helps me calm down, but then I still have to isolate and deal with the emotional matter on its own.” – Anna Vocino
“Eat Happy is a recipe book that is intended to include really yummy food that is easy to make at home. Whether you are gluten-free, low-carb, or grain-free, it's for everyone.” – Anna Vocino
“Take things easy and be nicer to yourself if you go ahead and have a treat like gluten-free cookies. We have a tendency to want to beat ourselves up about our choices, but we need to calm down. If you beat yourself up too often, you're just going to end up binge eating because you're so emotionally involved about your food choices. “ – Anna Vocino
“Don't forget to increase your healthy fat intake if you decide to follow the No Sugars, No Grains lifestyle. People don't eat enough fat with NSNG because they're afraid they'll gain weight and then they complain about being hungry. Don't be afraid of fat; you have to get full by eating fats.” – Anna Vocino
Links From Today's Show:
- Anna Vocino
- Eat Happy by Anna Vocino
- Eat Happy, Too by Anna Vocino
- The Fitness Confidential Podcast
- Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
- The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz
- WFR #140 – Chris Kresser
- WFR #129 – Gretchen Rubin
- WFR #107 – Dr. Sylvia Tara
- WFR #103 – Robb Wolf
- WFR #080 – Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi
- WFR #107 – Dr. Sylvia Tara
About Anna Vocino
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.