Wellness and travel can be an interesting and powerful mix.
According to the Global Wellness Institute, Wellness travel is a niche growing market that combines the benefits of traveling – which enables us to disconnect from everyday life and widens our perspectives with the possibility of engaging in a structured well-being program and learn a new set of rules to help build and maintain a healthier lifestyle .
Get Fit On Vacation
Escaping to a resort for relaxation or for challenging workouts, nutritious food and beautiful scenery can be appealing for both health and fitness connoisseurs who want to push themselves to the next level or for newbies who simply wish to make a start.
Wellness travel packages that focus on fitness programs offer several advantages, such as:
- Adaptable – more or less intensive appropriate for different needs and fitness levels
- All-inclusive – accommodation, fitness program, relaxation infrastructures such as Spa and pool and in some cases all the meals and some extra treatments;
- Immersion – less distractions and temptations than at home;
- Professional advice and guidance –access to personal trainers, nutritionists, counsellors;
- Group support – possibility to surround yourself with like-minded people in a relaxed atmosphere and away from everyday hectic life.
Nowadays, there are quite a few hotels and resorts offering wellness packages, for instance in Europe where a healthy vacation can be easily combined with some cultural touring.
Wellness Travel In Portugal
In the extreme south-west of Europe and at the meeting point of Europe, Africa and America, Portugal offers a unique Cultural Heritage, a superb Mediterranean healthy cuisine and has been awarded with several international awards in the tourism sector for different travel categories from Beaches to Golf, to name a few. But what about Wellness travel?
Below some good reasons to explore Portugal for your next getaway:
- Political Stability and Peacefulness: Portugal is one of the safest countries in the world according to the Global Peace Index.
- Location: International airports can be found in Lisbon, Faro and Porto with regular connections to major cities in the world. The recent partnership of the Portuguese Aviation with David Neelman from Jetblue will result in more flight to the USA.
- Mild climate throughout the year, clean and fresh air and plenty hours of sunshine –excellent combination for good mood, vitamin D, recovery and convalescence.
- Mediterranean Cuisine – nutrition is an essential factor for a healthy lifestyle and Portugal has a variety of fresh produce such as fish and seafood, olive oil, fruits and vegetables. From laid back beach restaurants to internationally acclaimed Michelin star awarded restaurants there is plenty to choose from. Portuguese diet is also inscribed as intangible cultural heritage of humanity by Unesco
- Value for money: variety of upscale Hotels, Resorts and Beach Resorts with excellent infrastructures and spa & wellness offers.
Trip For Wellness
Trip for Wellness is the first online local Travel operator fully specialized in Wellness Programs offering a variety of packages in carefully selected Hotels & Resorts throughout Portugal. A selection of handpicked, Fitness holidays, Detox, Weight loss, Beach & Nature Spa Break, Thermal Spa, Medical & Health Spa among others.
About The Author
Sara Ismail, founder of Trip for Wellness
Born and raised in Portugal, with an academic background in Business Administration and Marketing and after having worked in several multinationals in Portugal and in Switzerland, Sara decided to launch Tripforwellness.com – a boutique niche travel agency.