The Yin & Yang Philosophy of Strength – Anders Varner
“There are all these people who are training like CrossFit Gym Warriors after sitting at their desks all day. You don't want to go in that direction because you're going to get injured and burned out. If there is yin and yang to CrossFit, then we have to turn down the training and move slowly. There's no problem with training with intensity, but we have to move slower if we want to live a long, healthy life.” – Anders Varner
Is it easy for you to go all out at the gym, but you always find it difficult to simply relax and be in the moment in other scenarios?
Movement is medicine, but meditation is also vital for a healthy mind and body.
In Wellness + Wisdom episode 164, Co-Founder, Strength Coach, and Movement Specialist of The Low Back Fix as well as Former Co-Owner and Co-Founder of San Diego Athletics, Writer for the Whole Life Challenge, Strength Specialist at Movement Rx, and Author of The Performance Lifestyle, Anders Varner joins us to share his own personal journey from CrossFit to discovering his own Yin & Yang and inner strength through stillness.
Discover how Anders' Breath, Balance, and Behavior methodology can help you heal through breath work and meditation.
Yin Strength For Lower Back Pain Rehabilitation
is the most effective form of physical rehabilitation that exists. You are not broken, you will heal, and you will learn why you were in pain in the first place.
The long-term benefits of Yin Strength Training, however, are cultivated through practice. Learning how your body moves, feeling muscles activate, connecting the breath to movement, creativity, and developing a purpose centered around physical freedom.
Learn how to find the root cause of your pain and get specific daily guidance on what to do and when to do it. The Low Back Fix is interactive and designed for action with these benefits:
- Tools to strengthen your lower back
- Easy to use for anyone, anywhere
- Personalized, guided check-ins
- Access to experts including physical therapists, strength coaches, chiropractors, trainers, and more
Watch The Vlog: Behind The Scenes With Josh Trent & Anders Varner
Steph Gaudreau Testimonial for The Low Back Fix
Listen To Episode 164 As Anders Varner Uncovers:
- The Movement RX physical therapy practice and how he teamed up with physical therapist, Dr. Theresa Larson.
- What it was like being the original CrossFit Gym in the San Diego area and how the sport has changed and lost its authenticity according to Anders.
- His joy of writing and why he wants to share his experiences with others.
- Training with John Cena and what it has been like to work with him.
- Why his father introduced him to weight and strength training when he was just 13 years old.
- The secret sauce to becoming a CrossFit athlete without getting injured and burnt out.
- How Anders' energy dwindled and when he faced several injuries after doing CrossFit for so many years.
- Why Anders could work out intensely, but couldn't even relax at the beach and how that affected his mindset.
- How meditating and breath work has allowed him to really pay more attention to the world around him.
- Why it's easy to attach ourselves to something like CrossFit or Yoga yet the authenticity of those industries has been lost over the years.
- How he came up with the idea of Yin Strength Training to live a healthier life.
- Why focusing on transitions between work and home can give us space and help us to deal with everything that's going on in our lives.
- What he's learned from going to the gym and what it continues to teach him about life.
- The importance of always showing up and being present in wellness and relationships.
- Why children deserve to be involved in health and wellness at an early age.
- How he's helping people program their life for better wellness through movement and personalized training.
- His progressive journey of getting comfortable with meditation through daily practice.
- How wearables and technology are helping us be more mindful about our wellness.
- What we can do to be more mindful and present with everyone we come into contact with every day.
- Taking Breath, Balance, and Behavior and using them in programs to help people begin working on their breathing to help change those who are in pain.
Power Quotes From The Show
“Fitness goes well past the movements, tissues, and joints. It's about behavioral health, but how do we even begin creating good habits? A lot of people will get burned out because they think being fit means going all out every time they exercise.” – Anders Varner
“Even though I've been meditating for over three years, I still struggle with focusing on my breath. That's what makes me come back to it because it's such a skill to be able to slow down and be in the moment. The slower you breathe, the better you get at it and that in itself is a challenge.” – Anders Varner
“Meditating really helps to peel back the layers that allow you to uncover ultimate truths, what motivates you, where you want your life to go, and how to create your next path. You don't want to attach yourself to the next big thing that comes along or continue to be someone who is unhealthy. Work through some of your stories and then rebuild from there.” – Anders Varner
“When I opened my business, I lost all of my friends that I used to hang out with at the gym. I went from about 300 to 4 friends because I had to change. I had to move on from my old life and recreate everything about me. Everyone has that opportunity to change; you just have to be comfortable with your own growth and know that you have to keep going so that you can be authentic to yourself.” – Anders Varner
“Pain is a response that happens because something is not right. The brain doesn't have enough mechanisms to handle those dysfunctional movement patterns or inflammation so it sends the pain signal. Many people need a medical doctor, but most people just need to relax and get rid of all the negative energy in their lives. They need to slow down, unwind, and focus on their breathing as a way to heal.” – Anders Varner
Links From Today's Show:
About Movement Rx
- Anders Varner
- Yin Strength Training
- The Low Back Fix
- Movement Rx
- The Performance Lifestyle by Anders Varner
- Warrior by Theresa Larson and Alan Eisenstock
- Science Agrees: Five Facts to Fix Your Lower Back
- Scaling and Modifying Workouts for Lower Back Pain
- San Diego Athletics
- Whole Life Challenge
- The Headspace App
- The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast
- The Life Extension Nutrition Center
- WFR 160 Petteri Lahtela of Oura Ring
- WFR 134 Dr. Andy Galpin
- WFR 105 Dr. John Sullivan
About Anders Varner
A San Diego-based movement specialist with more than twenty years of training and coaching experience, Anders Varner is the co-founder of The Low Back Fix.
Anders found the weight room at the age of thirteen and decided he would call it home for the rest of his life. A four-time CrossFit regional competitor and member of John Cena's “One Ton Club,” Anders has trained with and coached athletes from the worlds of the NFL, WWE, and CrossFit.
A true believer in self-discovery, Anders finds his passion in helping the everyday person live a pain-free, empowered life through mindful movement. Anders’ approach has helped transform the lives of stroke victims, pre-and post-partum moms, extreme weight-loss clientele, and individuals recovering from drug and alcohol addiction.