Why Sleep Beats Food For Fat Loss: Harpreet Rai
“Once you start addressing and tracking your sleep, you can start prioritizing everything else. Your mood and energy will increase, and if your goal is losing weight, quality sleep will support faster recovery and better strength for overall fitness performance.” – Harpreet Rai
Win A Free Oura Ring
Get $50 Off Your Oura Ring Today
How can improving your sleeping patterns allow for optimal fat loss, higher energy, faster recovery, and a stronger body?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 252, CEO of Oura Health Ltd., Harpreet Rai, reveals how sleep can be the secret ingredient to weight loss success, how rest can be a guiding light to help you show up as the best version of yourself, and the direct correlation between lack of sleep and its effect on our hormones, BMI, and emotions.
Discover how you can create the perfect sleeping atmosphere to help get your mental, physical, and emotional health back on track.
Meet The Benefits of Sleep
Sleep is not the boring part between memorable moments. It’s what makes those moments possible. When you sleep, your body and mind regenerate from the stress of the day. And the need for sleep never goes away – especially if you’re pushing yourself creatively, professionally or athletically. Not all heroes wear capes. But they all need sleep.
Did you know the average person may spend more than 26 years of their life sleeping? We say that’s 26 years well spent. Getting enough restorative sleep helps you:
- Manage weight
- Stay healthier – longer
- Perform at your best
- Be more productive
- Avoid hangry mistakes
Understand How You Sleep
Understanding how well you slept is the first step toward better sleep. The free Oura app for iOS and Android guides you towards your goal. Click here to get started on prioritizing your sleep with Oura today
Why Sleep Beats Food For Fat Loss: Harpreet RaiWhen you get less sleep, you're doing a disservice to your future self. When you do that, you're making an active choice to not show up and be the best version of yourself that you can be. - CEO of @ouraring, Harpreet RaiClick To Tweet
Improve Sleep. Perform Better.
Listen To Episode 252 As Harpreet Rai Uncovers:
- How Oura is helping people with their weight loss progress through tracking and teaching them about their sleep status.
- The guilt he first faced when leaving work to go exercise and how he got over that feeling.
- The three barriers we face that keep us from focusing on our health: time, money, and guilt.
- How the Oura ring acts as a mirror of mindfulness to help us keep showing up in life.
- The alarming amount of Americans that are currently taking medication for sleep
- How social media, smartphones, and even Netflix are amplifying our stress and anxiety which then leads us to poor sleeping habits.
- The little amount of sleep he was getting a night at 4 hours while being an investment banker and how that led to gaining a pound each week.
- The importance of starting our day at the exact same time every morning and being exposed to sunlight throughout the day.
- How self-monitoring our sleep patterns can be just what we need to help change our behavior and habits.
- The wellness journey of one Oura ring user and how cutting out the 4 o'clock coffee helped him go back to a normal sleep cycle.
- The latency feature of the Oura ring that tells you how long it takes you to fall asleep and why you shouldn't be falling asleep right away.
- How breath is integrated into Oura and the technology aspect with the respiration rate.
- Why they chose a ring as their product from both a comfort and accuracy standpoint.
- Why no single wearable is 100% accurate but the most important thing to consider is precision in the day to day data.
- How they've designed the Oura ring to be very accurate in its precision to help the individual track their sleep and health.
- Results Oura users have seen reflected in their data when they've made changes to create a better sleeping atmosphere.
- How the 5 senses change when we're sleeping and how to create your best night's sleep experience.
- The benefits of relaxing and stretching before bed that we don't normally consider.
- How Oura can lead the charge in conversations about personal development through the use of mindfulness and wellness technology.
Power Quotes From The ShowIf you don't measure something, how does it get mastered? But is sleep the be all end all? No; I think there are so many things we need to do to be great humans and sleep is a great place to start.- CEO of @ouraring, Harpreet RaiClick To Tweet
“Addiction to our phones and social media has completely amplified our poor sleeping habits. Our stress and anxiety are leading to poor nutrition and weight gain. We can't sleep well if we're being pulled in different directions by every notification that pops up on our phones.” – Harpreet Rai
“When people start to see personal data that pertains to themselves, they begin to question those findings. You might ask yourself, ‘Why am I not getting any deep sleep?' and then you seek answers from other Oura users, podcasts, or books. Once you just start to see the data becoming personal, you'll start to reflect, change habits, and notice patterns.” – Harpreet Rai
“If you rewind thirty or forty years ago and before the Internet, we probably used to be able to naturally tell whether or not we got a good's night rest and feel the difference. We used to feel and think about our sleeping patterns a lot more but now we're so distracted and I don't think we have time to feel. Now that we're busier than ever, it's harder for us to take the time to concentrate on what our bodies are telling us and therefore, tracking makes more sense now than it ever did before. Tracking holds you accountable as you start to look at the data and ask yourself simple questions that can lead to lifestyle changes.” – Harpreet Rai
“If you don't measure something, how does it get mastered? But is sleep the be all end all? No; I think there are so many things we need to do to be great humans and sleep is a great place to start. If you don't sleep properly, it's probably going to be harder to eat better, exercise more, and just be a good human being. Sleep sets you up on the right track to succeed.” – Harpreet Rai
Meet The New Oura Ring
Links From Today's Show
- Harpreet Rai
- WFR 160 Petteri Lahtela – Co-Founder, President, and CIO of Oura
- The NEW Oura Ring
- The Philosophy Behind Oura
- Oura user @sandiegojoey on Instagram
- Find Your Own Circadian Rhythm
- Ten Ways to Sleep Better Right Now
- Heart Rate While Sleeping: Look for These 3 Patterns
- Nobel Prize for discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm
- Why Your Brain Feels So Foggy From Sleep Deprivation
- Sleep deprivation and hippocampal vulnerability
- A single night of sleep deprivation
- #53 Harpreet Rai | Human Optimization Hour w/Kyle Kingsbury
- Strategy of Monitoring: Gretchen Rubin
- Center For Sleep And Cognition
- Joe Rogan Experience #1109 – Matthew Walker – YouTube
- Nick Littlehales' Guide to Understanding Sleep
- Ethan Weiss | UCSF Profiles
- Kelly Starrett
- Dr. Rebecca Robbins
- Dr. Joseph Mercola
- Ben Greenfield
- The Morning 21
- WFR 125 Dr. Kirk Parsley
- WFR 129 Gretchen Rubin
- WFR 206 Dan Pardi
- WFR 250 Dave Asprey