Training Muscles In Your Mind: Jennifer Cohen
“Your head can be your friend or foe when it comes to getting stronger, fitter, and sexier. That's because your mind is your most powerful muscle. So, you can either flex it to boost your motivation or perseverance which is great or clench it to resist your efforts which is bad.” – Jennifer Cohen
Is it better to have a fixed, go-go-go mindset on losing weight or do we get to focus on building small, new habits regularly for greater health results?
On Wellness + Wisdom episode 257, Fitness and Health Expert, Author of several books including Strong Is The New Skinny and her latest, Badass Body Goals, as well as future Host of the upcoming Habits & Hustle Podcast, Jennifer Cohen, explains why she detests the words, “motivation” and “willpower,” why hitting the snooze button every morning can automatically lead you to procrastinate, and why being mentally fit helps you become physically fit.
Discover why people are more likely to get results if they're not just “friends” with their personal trainer, create regular healthy habits, organize their lives, and focus on being fully present.
Badass Body Goals:
Booty-Building & Waist Trimming
This is literally a personal trainer in a book. It teaches you everything you need to know about booty-building, fat loss, and working out effectively to meet your goals and then provides 10 weeks of complete, guided workouts you’ll use to make outrageously quick progress. Just get in the gym, we’ll handle the rest! Just make sure you have the right equipment like a booty band or treadmill…
With your purchase of Badass Body Goals by Jennifer Cohen & Habit Nest, you will receive:
- 10-WEEK GUIDED BOOTY-BUILDING AND WAIST TRIMMING PROGRAM: 50 complete workouts with explanations and images you’ll use to get it done. You just have to follow along and track your progress!
- 50 COMPLETE VIDEO GUIDES: Each individual workout comes with a complete video guide that allows you to do the workout from beginning to end with Jennifer Cohen, co-author of the book.
- TRACKING: You’ll follow along with each page and fill certain important variables as you complete each workout. As a result, you’ll be getting constant encouragement by seeing first-hand how quickly you’re improving. You’ll then be using your own personal best records to keep each workout as intense as the previous one!
- 4-3-2-1: Almost all the workouts in the journal follow a 4-3-2-1 circuit format designed to keep you engaged with different movements for short periods. This will optimize fat loss and muscle development at the same time.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: We know that we can’t make a product that suits everyone’s needs. So, if you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, just let us know and we will refund your money.
Badass Body Goals Journal Book Launch at Equinox
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Our mindsets can change our bodies; the state of our bodies can change the state of our minds. – @therealjencohen ” quote=”Our mindsets can change our bodies; the state of our bodies can change the state of our minds. – @therealjencohen “]
Listen To Episode 257 As Jennifer Cohen Uncovers:
- Why many people in the fitness industry transition into a higher level coaching, productivity, and lifestyle design.
- What patterns of difficulty she noticed in high achievers, executives, and celebrities like Britney Spears while helping them build healthier lifestyles.
- Her experience working for the music industry in marketing and how she transitioned from that into helping train the artists as a personal fitness coach.
- How her fitness habits evolved into new strategies once she became a mom which she shares in her latest book and program, Badass Body Goals.
- Her 4-3-2-1 HIIT fitness program to help people, especially busy moms, get fit and get great results.
- Why HIIT training is the most effective way to burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time yet you shouldn't do it every day.
- The importance of constantly tweaking your workouts to stay strong, in shape, and get more results every day.
- Why exercise isn't enough unless you also focus on a healthier diet, mental health, hydration, stretching, mobility, and more.
- What drives her to keep creating content when life is challenging.
- The importance of always growing both emotionally and spiritually in your own unique wellness journey.
- How to lead by example and why that's the best motivation for anybody.
- The 6-morning habits that are destroying our productivity.
- Why hitting the snooze button is making you less productive, gives you less energy, and makes you procrastinate for the rest of the day.
- Why we're not getting enough human interaction and what we can do to turn things around by having a conversation within the first hours of being awake.
- Strategic practices she helps her executive clients work on to keep them healthy during their busy, long working hours.
- How you can know when it's time to let go of your personal trainer.
- What she does to balance her career and family life in order to help alleviate overwhelm.
- How she helped create a strategy to help her stay on track and avoid pitfalls in her healthy lifestyle through discipline and goals.
- The vital importance of relieving stress and how you can do that through balance and finding what makes you happy in multiple areas.
Power Quotes From The Show
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Being mentally fit makes you physically fit. Being present, conscious, having set intentions and goals is the most important part. Losing weight and staying fit is a by-product of all of that. – @therealjencohen ” quote=”Being mentally fit makes you physically fit. Being present, conscious, having set intentions and goals is the most important part. Losing weight and being fit is a by-product of all of that. – @therealjencohen “]
“All of your focus on fitness is for naught if your diet is not there. 80% of your results come from what you eat and the other 20% is tweaking and toning your workouts. You can't do one without the other.” – Jennifer Cohen
“As we get older and have more stressors in life, it's important that we do a lot for our wellness and mind through a holistic approach that's not just nutrition and exercise. What are you doing for your wellbeing? What are you doing for your reflection? Are you drinking enough water? What are you doing for your mobility; are you stretching? There are a lot of different things in the wellness umbrella that are important.” – Jennifer Cohen
“Having a goal of getting stronger versus getting skinnier is a more positive message than just losing weight and it's a healthier place to be mentally. Exercise helps to build confidence and mental strength. The stronger you get physically, the more confidence you will have and the stronger you will feel mentally.” – Jennifer Cohen
“Motivation comes and goes. You can go to a Tony Robbins seminar and be super motivated and then within the next day, that feeling starts to wane. Same with willpower; it ebbs and flows. You shouldn't be relying on motivation and willpower; you have to build healthy habits and routines to keep you on a path for long-term success. Once you're on autopilot with that healthy behavior and you don't even have to think about exercise or nutrition, you can use your brain for other things that need your attention.” – Jennifer Cohen
Jennifer Cohen's Reel
Links From Today's Show
- Jennifer Cohen
- Badass Body Goals
- Strong Is The New Skinny
- No Gym Required
- Habits & Hustle Podcast
- 6 Morning Habits That Are Destroying Your Productivity
- No-Gym Workout With Jennifer Cohen
- Surrounding Yourself With The Right People Changes Everything
- Four Ways Your Inner Circle Is Crucial To Your Success
- 10 Things Healthy People Have in Common
- How to Set Fitness Goals You'll Actually Achieve
- This No-Gym, HIIT Workout Gets the Job Done in 10 Minutes
- A Winter Workout to Improve Your Focus
About Jennifer Cohen
Jennifer Cohen is a leading fitness and wellness authority, best-selling author, entrepreneur and frequent guest on national media. She was recently named in “ Greatist” 100 most influential people in Health and Fitness and #16 Most Impactful Fitness Entrepreneurs on Web MD.
Ms. Cohen has emerged as an influential role model for the industry. Her stellar reputation has been built on a savvy, straight-talking approach and belief in a “clean living” lifestyle that forgoes the fads and focuses on long-term, sustainable results.
This approach informs Ms. Cohen’s bestselling book, No Gym Required – Release Your Inner Rock Star (2009). It is a no-nonsense fitness and health reference that serves as an overall healthy lifestyle guide. As one commentator put it, the book is Fitness for Dummies meets Eat Clean Diet.
Her second book Strong is the New Skinny reached #2 on the Bestsellers List. Jennifer just debuted her third book- a workout and motivational journal in Fall 2018- called Badass Body Goals: The Booty Building and Waist Trimming Journal. The book/journal combo includes step by step image tutorials and areas for you to fill out your progress. It comes with a complementary resistance band and video library via Habit Nest so you can work out with Jen from anywhere.
Jennifer is the President and CEO of her own fitness and wellness brand NGR – No Gym Required – offering products and services based on her anytime, anywhere – no excuses philosophy. The company is best known for its wellness toning shoe, which is the only sneaker to use removable weighted soles. The shoes have hundreds of thousands of fans, including, Courtney Cox, Jennifer Garner, David Beckham, and Jennifer Aniston. The shoe company was acquired in 2011.
Lastly, she is the founder of The Good Human Foundation, a 501c3 charity, which hosts an annual star-studded “Babes For Boobs” bachelor auction, benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. This charity is close to her heart, as her mother is a cancer survivor.