The Truth About Functional Medicine: James Maskell
“Can we really afford to just wait and only treat people when they're chronically ill? No, we simply cannot continue to fund this problem. Through KNEW Health, we’re creating a new story that empowers people to own their wellness, save money, and receive the healthcare they actually need.” – James Maskell
Are you ready to take your health into your own hands without insurance, bureaucracy, and high healthcare costs holding you back?
In Wellness + Wisdom episode 259, Creator of The Functional Forum, CEO & Founder of The Evolution of Medicine, Author of The Evolution of Medicine, and Founder of KNEW Health, James Maskell, discusses how the healthcare system is set up to keep people hooked on long-term medications which actually leads them to worse health, why functional medicine's focus is turning towards whole health treatments, and why reversing chronic disease should be our number one priority right now in the world of healthcare.
Discover how functional medicine, community micro practice, and direct primary care will change the future of healthcare as we know it.
Finally, the alternative to expensive health insurance you've been waiting for.
We are a community of healthy, happy, wellness-minded individuals like yourself, who work together to stay well and contribute to a community fund to support one another’s large medical bills.
Think of this as a safety net for large, unexpected medical costs.
Because you take care of your health, you’re likely to need less medical expense support — so why should you pay insane insurance premiums when you can have your large expenses supported by our Medical Cost-Sharing Community that is over 10,000 members strong?
With conventional health insurance, you–the healthy person who exercises, doesn’t smoke, and eats fresh fruits and vegetables–are subsidizing the medical expenses of people who smoke, don’t exercise, and eat junk food all day. How unfair is that?
Furthermore, with health insurance, it’s likely you’re paying these high premiums and yet not using many of your benefits. That’s money down the drain each and every month.
At KNEW Health, you’ll be paying so much less each month–which gives you more money to invest in wellness and preventative care, such as fitness classes, acupuncture, massage, healthy fresh food, and herbs and supplements.
Wouldn’t you rather invest your monthly health expenses into life-giving wellness care, rather than sending that money to faceless health insurance bureaucracies, never to be seen again?
By making a commitment to living a healthy lifestyle, you’re helping transform health care.
James Maskell – The Full KNEW Health Story
Listen To Episode 259 As James Maskell Uncovers:
- KNEW Health – What it is, how it can help you, and how it's changing the narrative around healthy lifestyles and self-awareness.
- Why he did the KNEW Health Tour – a 4-month family trip to launch the evolution of alternative health.
- Why functional medicine goes much further into our health's journey than just a couple of lab tests.
- How functional medicine can help prevent the body from degrading, slowing down, and experiencing chronic disease.
- The Community Micro Practice – how it's benefiting the world of functional medicine and changing the lives of both healthcare practitioners and their patients.
- The vital importance of looking at our emotions and past traumas so that they do not manifest into disease.
- Steps people can take to begin looking for a functional medicine practitioner that's right for them.
- What Direct Primary Care is and how it can improve a doctor's relationship with patients and the ability to afford healthcare.
- His 3-part strategy for the true transformation of healthcare explained.
- The high amount of insurance he was facing while living and working in New York City and what answers he found when he sought out different opportunities for affordable healthcare.
- His mission to begin his own program to help people save money on insurance and encourage others to reach out to functional medical doctors when they really need it.
- The experiences that transformed his life and drove him to keep going in his mission and see this functional medicine movement through.
- How the company, Heal, is changing healthcare by having practitioners go straight to the patients' homes.
- The flood of new apps and tools that are available right now such as GoodRx and MDSave which can help you cut down on the price of healthcare.
- His explanation for why it's unlikely that functional medicine will be delivered through health insurance anytime soon.
- Why it's easier to change your behavior and reduce chronic disease while in a group environment compared to working one-on-one with a singular healthcare provider.
- How healing with psychedelics and marijuana can play a part in functional medicine.
- The first step you can take towards shifting your health by finding a community environment that can help you.
Power Quotes From The ShowMore medicine doesn't actually equal better health outcomes. In fact, the more you use the medical system, the worse your off your health outcomes are going to be in the long run. - @mrjamesmaskell Click To Tweet
“Functional medicine is a new operating system of delivering health that is focused on three main principles: root cause resolution, holistic viewpoint, and participatory system. What really differentiates functional medicine from integrative, naturopathic, or holistic medicine is that it's a reproducible system and structure which helps everyone follow the same steps. In that sense, it prioritizes what you should be doing in a specific order and that makes it much more efficient than other methods.” – James Maskell
“The most effective way that functional medicine is being delivered is through a group format such as that at The Cleveland Clinic. There's really something powerful about the vulnerability of being in front of a group and the community that's created by being amongst supportive peers.” – James Maskell
“What will it take to facilitate a consciousness transformation in how we view healthcare? There is a very clear engine of transformation consciousness that happens when people go to a functional medicine doctor. When you go to an empathetic provider like that, they will empower you to take action to form a new story about your life.” – James Maskell
“If you can get people to change behavior in a group environment, a lot of the chronic disease will go away. Many of us don't need these expensive medical visits, lab tests, and pharmaceuticals. Most chronic disease is driven by lifestyle and can be fixed by lifestyle, we just need structures that are efficient enough to deliver it.” – James Maskell
Links From Today's Show
- James Maskell
- KNEW Health
- The Functional Forum
- The Evolution of Medicine
- The Evolution of Medicine by James Maskell
- GoodRx app
- MDSave app
- ICEERS – International Center for Ethnobotanical Education, Research
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies – MAPS
- Dr. Mark Hyman
- Valerian/lemon balm use for sleep disorders during menopause. (Organifi GOLD)
- The Cleveland Clinic
- Jason Silva
- Dr. Kelly Brogan
- Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
- Michael Pollan
- WFR 096 Daniel Schmachtenberger
- WFR 140 Chris Kresser
- WFR 249 Niraj Naik
About James Maskell
With the soul of an advocate and the mind of an entrepreneur, James Maskell has spent the past decade sparking debate and encouraging a shift away from conventional western medicine and toward a wellness-centered, functional medicine model–starting with the doctors themselves. To that end, he created Functional Forum, the world's largest integrative medicine conference with record-setting participation online and growing physician communities around the world. He's also the founder of the Evolution of Medicine, a community e-commerce platform which provides highly curated and customized resources, tools, products, and services, making it easier and more affordable for conventional doctors to embark on a new way of managing healthcare.
An in-demand speaker and lively impresario, with a broad and thriving network in the functional medicine space, James lectures internationally and has been featured on TEDMED, HuffPost Live, TEDx and more, and contributor to Huffington Post, KevinMD, TheDoctorBlog.com, and MindBodyGreen. He serves on the faculty of George Washington University's Metabolic Medicine Institute, and speaks regularly on the integrative medicine conference circuit. He graduated with honors from University of Nottingham with a degree in health economics.