Warning: Undefined array key "disable_url" in /nas/content/live/wellnessforce/wp-content/plugins/tweetthis/includes/share-handler.php on line 321
The Altered States Economy: Jamie Wheal
“When you boost energy through your system via breathwork, movement, myofascial release, or anything else, you have more juice going through your circuits and it tends to disclose more information about where you're impeded. So, ecstasis constantly shows you two things: your sort of highest potential, the way you ought to be or the way the world could be and it also shows you where you're broken. It's like an electrician running juice through a circuit and discovering you've blown fuse.” – Jamie Wheal
It's the biggest revolution you've never heard of, and it's hiding in plain sight. Over the past decade, some of the highest performers in the world have been harnessing rare and controversial states of consciousness to solve critical challenges and outperform the competition.
In Wellness + Wisdom episode 209, leading expert on the neurophysiology of human performance, Co-Author of Best-seller Stealing Fire, and Executive Director of Flow Genome Project, Jamie Wheal, shares why the “Altered States Economy” has now grown to over 4 billion dollars and what that means for our collective future. Learn how these states unlock how we can become a stronger Promethean, why hedonism is naturally wired within you, and what 80-20 “Woke to Broke” really is.
After practicing meditation, doing yoga, or using psychedelics to illicit personal growth or flow state, do you ever feel like something is still missing from within? Learn why the integration process is so vital when altering your mental state and how you can achieve greater balance through hedonic calendaring.
Read Stealing Fire
Get your copy of Stealing Fire by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal today
It’s the biggest revolution you’ve never heard of, and it’s hiding in plain sight. Over the past decade, Silicon Valley executives like Eric Schmidt and Elon Musk, Special Operators like the Navy SEALs and the Green Berets, and maverick scientists like Sasha Shulgin and Amy Cuddy have turned everything we thought we knew about high-performance upside down. Instead of grit, better habits, or 10,000 hours, these trailblazers have found a surprising shortcut. They're harnessing rare and controversial states of consciousness to solve critical challenges and outperform the competition.
New York Times bestselling author Steven Kotler and high performance expert Jamie Wheal spent four years investigating the leading edges of this revolution—from the home of SEAL Team Six to the Googleplex, the Burning Man festival, Richard Branson’s Necker Island, Red Bull’s training center, Nike’s innovation team, and the United Nations’ Headquarters. And what they learned was stunning: In their own ways, with differing languages, techniques, and applications, every one of these groups has been quietly seeking the same thing: the boost in information and inspiration that altered states provide.
Today, this revolution is spreading to the mainstream, fueling a trillion dollar underground economy and forcing us to rethink how we can all lead richer, more productive, more satisfying lives. Driven by four accelerating forces—psychology, neurobiology, technology, and pharmacology—we are gaining access to and insights about some of the most contested and misunderstood terrain in history. Stealing Fire is a provocative examination of what’s actually possible; a guidebook for anyone who wants to radically upgrade their life.
Altered States to Altered Traits: Hacking Flow
Listen To Episode 209 As Jamie Wheal Uncovers:
- How the world began to look at altered states of consciousness and the essential history of it.
- How we can become a stronger Promethean through altered states.
- The altered states economy and how we use various sources to shift our state of mind.
- How hedonism is naturally wired within us.
- Why respiration, embodied cognition, and sexuality are mind altering tools that are the least susceptible to corruption and/or repression.
- Two things mind altering tools and practices can do: show you your highest potential and where you're broken.
- Whether or not a practice like holotropic breathing can help boost our energy and heal us.
- All these little experiences and peak states that can help us fix most things that are going on within our minds.
- How we can properly use psychedelics to help us overcome this constant stimulation that's always around us.
- The statistics of the population taking psychedelics as far as who should take them and when.
- Why we should be cautious with psychedelic usage and other mind-altering practices because they might open some doors that should have stayed closed.
- Why attending a mass amount of Ayahuasca ceremonies will not lead you to what you're seeking without the proper integration service.
- The increase in the number of super viruses via medicine because of the vast amount of antibiotics that doctors give to patients.
- The vital importance of the integration process while using psychedelics and experiencing altered states.
- What we're missing when it comes to altered states as far as integration and service.
- 80-20 “Woke to Broke” – How we become 20% satisfied with something but then spend 80% of our time chasing the high we get from that natural 20%
- Daily or weekly positive practices such as breathing or clean eating that you can plan through hedonic calendering that allow you to naturally indulge without psychedelics.
- How he sees himself as a servant of God by trying to be a good father, husband, and leader in his organization. (not a bearded man in the sky, but the quantum force that guides all of us if we're willing to listen)
- Monogamy vs Polyamory vs. Hierogamy relationships and whether or not we're using relationship communions as a route to transcendence or not.
Power Quotes From The Show
“The whole 80-20 “Woke to Broke” is this idea that you get 80% bang for your buck on ecstatic technologies with the first 20% of your involvement. However, because that first 20% feels so amazingly rewarding, most people just continue going and then they invest 80% of their time and money to chasing the long tail of the 20% which can go on forever. You're never going to get there but you can chase it forever.” – Jamie Wheal
“We can see 80% ‘Woke' as being good enough and it might be all that we ever get to presume and 20% ‘Broke' is the human experience. Let's be open and be fully awake to that. Let's not chase one more journey, one more peak experience, or one more bauble, blinky, shiny thing that we tell ourselves is going to give us all the money, love, and happiness that we want. So many people believe that if we can only get there, then life is forever effortless and easy but life isn't like that.” – Jamie Wheal
“Most people pinball between indulgence and guilt-ridden abstinence. They have an un-integrated relationship to their ecstatic practices and it often gets a lot of cultural baggage and programming. So, hedonic calendaring allows for positive, foundational practices rather than stressing over thoughts of ‘Should I or shouldn't I?' ” – Jamie Wheal
Hacking the GENOME of Flow
Links From Today's Show
- Jamie Wheal
- Flow Genome Project
- Stealing Fire by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
- Flow Genome Project Closed Facebook Group
- Democratize Nirvana
- SEALFIT 20X | A DEEPER WHY | One Man's Journey | Physical & Emotional Intelligence
- Your Brain on Porn by Gary Wilson
- Rock Tape
- Paul Stamets on The Joe Rogan Experience
- Gil Hedley: Fascia and stretching: The Fuzz Speech
- Stanislav “Stan” Grof
- The Wim Hof Method
- Joe Rogan talks AYAHUASCA & DMT
- Natural Stacks: Psychedelic Researcher Rick Doblin on Treating PTSD with MDMA
- Ram Dass
- WFR 086 Mark Divine
About Jamie Wheal
Jamie Wheal, Executive Director of Flow Genome Project and Co-Author of Stealing Fire is a leading expert on the neurophysiology of human performance. His work ranges from Fortune 500 companies like Cisco, Google, and Nike, to the U.S. Naval War College and Red Bull. He combines a background in expeditionary leadership, wilderness medicine, and surf rescue, with over a decade advising high-growth companies on strategy, execution, and leadership.
He speaks to diverse and high-performing communities such as Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), Summit Series, and MaiTai Global on the intersection of science and high performance. At the Flow Genome Project, he leads a team of the world’s top scientists, athletes, and artists dedicated to mapping the genome of the peak-performance state known as Flow. He lives on the Colorado River with his wife Julie, their two kids Lucas and Emma, and a righteous Golden Retriever named Cassie.