Lisa Dougherty: Leading The Medical Fitness Movement
“There's definitely been a shift in the last several years with our aging population. They're a third of our nation, but they're also 45% of our wealth so I think their mindsets are really influencing many things in the USA from products to services to just everything. I really think that these people want more. They've all worked really hard in their life because that's what their parents told them to do. The idea that they have to do all of their work before they can have fun has been engraved in their minds. So now, they're having this awakening that they want to do something for themselves. Whether that's becoming a better version of themselves so that they can help others, being able to spend time with people or being more productive for longer amounts of time.” – Lisa Dougherty
In Wellness Force Radio episode 193, Personal Trainer at Whole Body Fitness as well as both President and Founder of MedFit Network, Lisa Dougherty, shares health organizations and professionals are helping the aging population adapt to healthier lifestyles, the benefits that the MedFit Network provides for members, and what led her down this path of helping people achieve better wellness.
MedFit Network (MFN) is a free online resource directory for people to locate fitness & allied healthcare professionals who provide services for those with chronic disease/medical conditions, including but not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Arthritis, Autism, Cancer, Diabetes, Disabilities Fibromyalgia, Heart Disease, Mental Health Challenges, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Osteoporosis, Respiratory Disease, Stroke and women’s health issues including pre & postpartum care.
The MFN believes that exercise is valuable for those with chronic health & medical conditions. Developing a plan for a regular exercise & wellness program can be difficult for these people; The MFN mission is to improve the quality of life for those with chronic disease, medical conditions, have disabilities or who need pre or postnatal care help by connecting them to fitness & healthcare professionals with an interest and background in the treatment and rehabilitation of various diseases and medical conditions.
The MFN donates its services as a national database management company to medical and health organizations that do not offer resources for locating fitness & allied healthcare professionals with a background in prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation.
The MFN helps market on their behalf to create and maintain a registry for the following professionals: acupuncturists, chiropractors, dietitians, fitness/yoga, health & wellness coaches, massage therapists, mental health professionals, and physical therapists. The MFN also works with consumer-based magazines for community outreach to promote this network.
Listen To Episode 193 As Lisa Dougherty Uncovers:
- Why she launched the organization, MedFit Network.
- The various health practitioners that are involved with MFN.
- What personal challenges she has encountered and overcome throughout her life.
- Why natural wellness is the key to healthy bodies and minds and not necessarily medication.
- How MFN functions and how their professionals can help patients with their health needs.
- What different types of support MFN provides to their online visitors and patients.
- The key to the success of MFN and how they've advanced as an organization.
- How her own personal beliefs and emotional intelligence has led her to MFN.
- What her father said to help motivate her and encourage her to strive to accomplish her goals.
- The shift in society with a greater focus on seeking wellness help and answers.
- Their plan to launch MedFit TV and how this free education source will help people.
- How becoming a caregiver, grandparent, or not retiring early has motivated people to make healthy changes in their life.
- The next steps that the wellness industry will take to team up with the fitness industry to help aging Baby Boomers stay healthy.
- What fitness professionals can do to adapt to the aging population.
- How you can help others start living a healthier lifestyle for better wellness
- Her own self-care and self-love practices that help her create balance and focus on her wellness.
- What she is focusing on in her workout routines as she's getting closer to be 60 years old.
- What helps her stay grounded and stay collected during difficult moments.
Power Quotes From The Show
“I always felt like there was something that I was supposed to do with my life and I really do think it's my ability to bring people together. While my dad was ill, he was still my mentor and very supportive. There were many times when I wanted to give up because everything was so overwhelming, but he kept telling me, “You can't give up,” and that mantra became a part of me.” – Lisa Dougherty
“I want to leave something behind that's greater than me. The MedFit Network is a very important project for me because I feel like I'm positioning myself to really influence and change a lot of people's lives in a positive way and improve their quality of life. We really need as much help as we can get because we're more obese and sicker than ever as a population right now.” – Lisa Dougherty
“The Internet and trying to figure out healthcare can be overwhelming. I really wanted to make MedFit Network be the go-to place for people. We have doctors who helped create this and we even have an entire medical advisory board who have come together to create this project. So, this is a trusted website and that's why we have 30 different medical and health organizations that all recommend MFN to people who need to get help.” – Lisa Dougherty
“Some people are becoming caregivers and they want to try to get in better shape and health to be able to take care of a parent. There are also older people who are being motivated to make changes in their life to spend better quality time with their grandkids. Then, we have the circle of aging people who want to retire, but they can't so they have to work longer and they're looking at trying to get healthier so they can do their job for more years. So, there are several different motivational factors that are pushing people out there to maybe do something that they might not have otherwise done. More people are now motivated to change their diet, do more exercise, or get into breathwork and meditation. I see that as a growing trend now.” – Lisa Dougherty
Links From Today's Show
The Medical Fitness Network – Member Benefits
- MedFit Network
- Lisa Dougherty
- Whole Body Fitness
- Lisa Dougherty in the news
- Lisa Dougherty's Certifications
- The Medical Fitness Network – A Community Health Resource
- MFN / WITS Webinar with MFN Founder Lisa Dougherty
- Why You Should Know About Medical Fitness and Lisa Dougherty
- Why Fitness Professionals Should Join the Medical Fitness Network
- Are You 3D Fit?
- Longevity vs Durability: Can You Have Both?
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- Eat For Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
About Lisa Dougherty
Lisa Dougherty is the President and Founder of MedFit Network. She graduated from the University of Ca, Irvine, Fitness Instructor Program, and went on to get her Certified Personal Trainer and Health Coach Certifications through the American Council on Exercise. She has many specialty certifications to work with those with medical conditions, post-surgical/rehab as well as pre & postpartum fitness. Coursework includes Heart Disease, Breast Cancer Recovery, MS, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, Dementia, Arthritis, Respiratory Disease, Fibromyalgia, Knee & hip replacement, and Pre & postpartum fitness.
Lisa founded Whole Body Fitness in 1999 and has helped many people of all ages. Lisa provided volunteer service as the President of the OC Nutrition & Fitness Council, a nonprofit organization, overseeing the organization’s mission and monitoring nutrition programs at schools in Orange County. Lisa enjoys working out, running, art & museums, travel to tropical locations, and her canine and feline family.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.