The wiring of our limbic system is strung pretty tightly from infancy. If your Mama made lots of eye contact, you’re probably in the clear: The integrity of that wiring comes from early experiences of bonding, emotional closeness, security, and trust.
But unlike more recently evolved parts of our brain that constantly learn and change, our limbic system is a tough nut to crack.
One of the only things that can change our limbic response is other people.
We sync up to, adjust, and strengthen the systems of others through limbic regulation.
How To Wire Your Limbic System For Love
Like mind control, limbic regulation is the ability to “adjust and fortify one another’s fragile neural rhythms in the collaborative dance of love.” Relationships exist in open-loops and are reciprocal exchanges that constantly regulate the physiologies of its participants.
Psychologists poetically describe limbic regulation as a “shimmering conduit” to “tinker with one another’s psychology.”
We intermingle our rhythms and energies to regulate each other. Think of how powerful that is. Our physical body affects and is affected by other physical bodies. Consider yourself a source of energetic radioactivity.
You, by being you, impact another’s experience of themselves. This brings new light to the saying, “Who we are depends in part on who we love.”
This interview was inspired by Jessica's insightful and thought provoking article “How To Wire Your Limbic System For Love”
About Jessica Carson
Jessica Carson is a writer, entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and yoga/meditation teacher.
She started her career as a Neuroscience & Psychology Research Fellow at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), before entering the world of startups and venture capital. With a passion for psychology, innovation, and entrepreneurship, she now innovates new products for the American Psychological Association (APA).
Through her blog ColorfulCortex, Jessica offers a relatable and humorous perspective on psychological topics, including romantic relationships, entrepreneur wellness, and more.
Her mantra is to lead and support innovation in mental health and psychology, leveraging tools from technology to spirituality to support the journey of self-discovery.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how these episodes can allow you to break bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today's show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order – just enter promo code “wellnessforce” at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.