Healing & Human Optimization Through Psychedelics: Brad Burge
“MAPS isn't just developing treatments for mental illnesses. We're not just working within the system; we're also challenging the system. There's this idea that there's something broken in our brains such that we need to medicate it with these laboratory designed pharmaceuticals and that we as human beings are essentially damaged; that we're not perfect and we need to reach outside of ourselves to be healthy and happy. That's why we have our culture's fascination with drugs.” – Brad Burge
What is possible when a suitable candidate for psychedelics begins using them to heal from anxiety and mental illness? How can plant medicines help us in human optimization through unlocking the release of suppressed thoughts, emotions, and bodily sensations?
In Wellness Force Radio episode 210, editor of Manifesting Minds, Director of Strategic Communications for Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), Brad Burge, explains how psychedelics can help people get back in touch with ancient ways of being, connect with the world, and help aid them in their journeys towards extreme habit change including ending addiction.
Discover how the assisted therapeutic use of psychedelics and plant drugs is helping people liberate their consciousness, heal from PTSD, and integrate new lifestyle changes.
Featuring essays and interviews with Timothy Leary, Aldous Huxley, Ram Dass, Albert Hofmann, Alexander (Sasha) Shulgin, Daniel Pinchbeck, Tim Robbins, Arne Naess, and electronic musician Simon Posford, as well as groundbreaking research and personal accounts, this one-of-a-kind anthology is a “best of” collection of articles and essays published by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). Topics include the healing use of marijuana and psychedelics–including MDMA, ibogaine, LSD, and ayahuasca–for PTSD, anxiety, depression, and drug addiction, as well as positive effects of these substances in the realm of the arts, family, spirituality, ecology, and technology.
MDMA, Psychotherapy, and the Future of PTSD Treatment
Listen To Episode 210 As Brad Burge Uncovers:
- The vast amount of research that's going on today with the use of psychedelics and therapy.
- What people misunderstand the most about plant medicine and psychedelics
- The results from the studies that have been done on war veterans, police officers, and fireman with an MDMA assisted cycle of therapy for PTSD.
- The contrast and differences between LSD, DMT, MDMA, ibogaine, cannabis, psilocybin, and Ayahuasca.
- His own personal story and the various obstacles he faced when it came to his mental health and using lithium.
- The turning point in his life when he tried LSD and what the outcome was like for him.
- His integration process to not taking lithium by adding in activities such as art and exercise while avoiding alcohol and tobacco.
- Who benefits the most from psychedelics and who shouldn't be taking them at all.
- What LSD and other psychedelics can bring out in people as far as mental illnesses and psychosis.
- How he would define psychosis and how its hard to understand what it exactly is with all of the continuous research.
- The process of assisting people to get off drugs and liberate their consciousness by using psychedelic substances such as LSD.
- What he's noticed between people using plant medicine and psychedelics for recreation vs. therapy.
- Why guided help and community is so important for the preparation, use, and integration of psychedelics.
- How psychedelics can help us really connect with our ancient ways of being and with the rest of the world.
- Why psychedelics are mind manifesting in the sense that they can help us release our thoughts, emotions, and bodily sensations.
- What the future use of psychedelics such as MDMA could look like as far as limiting usage to be under supervised therapy in a clinic.
- The opioid epidemic and the correlation between Trump supporters and the number of overdosed deaths.
- How MAPS is helping society change their stigmatized views on plant medicine and psychedelics.
- What the future of MDMA, psilocybin, Ayahuasca, DMT, and ibogaine will look like.
Power Quotes From The Show
“It took me a couple of days to process this but after using psychedelics and spending time in nature, I realized that there isn't anything broken with me; there's nothing wrong with the way that my brain is processing information, feeling emotion, or experiencing things. It's just that things are so intense for me. Life wasn't perfect for me after that experience, but it showed me that lithium wasn't getting me anywhere.” – Brad Burge
“When you see these drugs in action; whether it's in a therapeutic or a recreational setting, there's something very embodied about them. The experience isn't just about out-of-body consciousness exploration but there's a real embodiment that happens. In addition to getting us off prescription pharmaceuticals, showing us that we're not fundamentally damaged and that we have the capacity as individuals, I think psychedelics also help get us down deeper into our bodies. When I took LSD for the first time, I spent the entire day in my body doing this 8-mile walk around a lake so I think being physically exhausted was part of it as well. It was part of this feeling of, “There's nothing wrong with me,” because my body was fine; my body was happy when it was moving around.” – Brad Burge
“What MAPS is doing is actually using psychedelic drugs to help people get off drugs. Just two or three sessions with these substances are producing lasting changes and people don't need to stay on their existing medications. We're helping people liberate their consciousness from these straightjackets of conventional pharmacotherapy.” – Brad Burge
Legalize Psychedelic Medicine
Links From Today's Show
- Brad Burge
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- MAPS Podcast
- Manifesting Minds
- PRESS RELEASE: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS
- Smart Drug Smarts with Brad Burge #099: Psychedelics – New Perspective
- Over-the-Counter Ecstasy? Interview with Brad Burge of MAPS
- The Third Wave Podcast – How Do You Treat PTSD With Psychedelics?
- ‘Reluctant Psychonaut' Michael Pollan Embraces The ‘New Science' Of Psychedelics
- How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert Michael Pollan Tried A Series Of Psychedelic Drugs… For Research!
- Rick Strassman
- What We Know About the CIA’s Midcentury Mind-Control Project
- ERIE (Entheogenic Research, Integration, & Education)
- Dr. Bronner: Sustainability, Psychedelics, & GMOs
- WFR 096 Daniel Schmachtenberger
- WFR 185 Gerry Powell
About Brad Burge
Brad Burge is Director of Strategic Communications at the non-profit Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). Brad earned his B.A. in Communication andPsychology from Stanford University in 2005 and his M.A. in Communication from the University of California, San Diego in 2009.
He began working with MAPS in 2009, where he engages daily with journalists and media producers around the world to enhance public knowledge about psychedelic research, while also helping develop and evolve MAPS' brand and outreach strategy.
Brad is passionate about finding healthier, more effective, and more compassionate ways for humans to work with the pharmaceutical and digital communications technologies of the 21st century. When he’s not plugged in, you’ll find him in the mountains, carrying a backpack, somewhere down a long trail.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.
- Making Fit & Healthy Simple Again: Yuri Elkaim ( September 17, 2018 )
- What’s Making Our Children Sick? – Dr. Michelle Perro ( September 10, 2018 )
- Renegade Beauty: Nadine Artemis ( September 3, 2018 )
- Brain Flip Weight Loss: David Zappasodi ( August 27, 2018 )
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- May 2010
- February 2009