The Duality of Wellness & Technology – Mind Pump
128 Mind Pump: In a tech-driven world with more connection and media distraction than ever before, how can we balance these forces so they assist in our wellness journey?
This level of technology and social integration is still in its infancy, and we already see some of the physical and psychological impacts. Our constant distractions make it challenging to focus and enjoy the present moment, and the mainstream media constantly promotes fear and drama. Studies are also showing the links between mobile phone addiction with depression and anxiety.
These new technologies have far reaching benefits and also unintended consequences. It's the conscious choice of how we use and incorporate them into our lives that will dictate their impact.
In this highly digital and connected age, we have to ask ourselves an important question:
How can we develop a healthy use of technology so it enhances our productivity and wellness?
On this episode of Wellness Force Radio, we explore this topic and more with the team from Mind Pump Media, Sal Di Stefano, Adam Schafer, and Justin Andrews. We touch on great topics such as the future of group exercise, the benefits of getting in nature, and how to increase our emotional intelligence.
Listen To Episode 128 As We Uncover:
- Sales stories from 24-hour fitness
- Mistakes made by beginner trainers
- Interview styles and how they prep for shows
- The rapid speed at which technology is changing the world and our habits
- The addictive properties of technology
- How apps and social media are engineered to get us hooked
- How new forms of stimulation chemically alter the brain
- Why mindfulness will dictate our habits
- How the ego thrives and survives off drama and negativity
- Predictions for the future of Virtual Reality
- How we can stop identifying with thoughts that don't empower us
- Creating sustainable change by getting in touch with our true motives
- How our diet can affect skin care
- Why we need to partition time for self-care
- The unhealthy ways we choose to numb ourselves from problems
- Why we must avoid getting stuck in a single workout routine
- Finding the balance between intense and relaxing workouts
- The rejuvenating effects of spending time in nature
- How the fitness space is beginning to gamify workouts
Top 3 Takeaways From The Episode
- Our ego loves to feed into drama and negativity. Unfortunately, the media is made up of 99% bad news. We have to understand that our consumption drives the creators, and what we consume is what they produce. Try to fill your mind with positive content that shows us what is possible.
- We can find tremendous emotional healing when we stop identifying with our thoughts. Slow down and try to observe, without letting your mind consume you or become who you are.
- Exercise has to be viewed as an investment in our health. When we put the time in, we get exponential hours of energy and productivity back. Partition out time on a regular basis for self-care.
“Mindfulness is the root cause of our eating and lifestyle habits.” – Sal Di Stefano
“It's thought, then feeling, then action.” – Josh Trent
“It's going to be a challenge removing our culture's addiction to technology.” – Justin Andrews
“We must examine our true motives to discover the root of deeper issues.” – Adam Schafer
“While building our life and business, our emotional health can't be lost along the way .” – Josh Trent
“The endorphin rush from social media is being compared to that of drug addiction.” – Adam Schafer
“Deception in the media has always been around, but it's getting much more creative.” – Sal Di Stefano
“First, work on the relationship with yourself, then with food, and then with exercise.”- Adam Schafer
Wellness Force + Mind Pump Interview LIVE In Studio
The “Mind Pump” Podcast
MindPump exposes the RAW TRUTH about health, fitness, nutrition and more… Hosts Sal Di Stefano, Adam Schafer & Justin Andrews pull back the curtain on the mythology, snake oil, and pseudo-science that pervades the fitness industry and present science-backed solutions that result in increased muscular development and performance while simultaneously emphasizing health. No fitness institution or fitness “truth” is safe from their quick wit and over 40 years of combined experience in the fitness industry. Produced by Doug Egge. Find Mind Pump and the Mind Pump hosts on Instagram @mindpumpsal, @mindpumpadam, @mindpumpjustin.
About Mind Pump Media
What exactly IS MindPump? MindPump is an online radio show/podcast that has been described as Howard Stern meets fitness. It is sometimes raw, sometimes shocking and is always entertaining and informative. Your hosts, Sal Di Stefano, Adam Schafer and Justin Andrews have over 40 years of combined fitness experience as personal trainers, club managers, IFBB fitness competitors, and fitness thought leaders.
The fitness world is filled with charlatans and snake oil salesmen pushing the latest and greatest (and sometimes downright dangerous) workout programs, supplements and faux science on the unsuspecting masses. Sal, Adam, and Justin use MindPump as a platform to shed the light of TRUTH on health, fitness and a host of other topics. By listening to each episode of MindPump, you will be able to absorb over 40 years worth of workout wisdom in record time so that you can cut through the BS and experience the absolute fastest way to reach your health and fitness goals.
Resources Mentioned From Episode 128
- Mind Pump:
- 24-hour Fitness
- The Wavehouse
- Arthur Jones – Nautilus Fitness Equipment
- Operation Mockingbird
- Kevin Kelly – “The Inevitable”
- Adam Alter – “Irresistible”
- Spike's “Bar Rescue”
- Andre Agassi
- The Colorado Experiment
- Eckhart Tolle – “A New Earth”
- Gay Hendricks
- Orange Theory Fitness
- Axon Fitness
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what's up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how these episodes can allow you to break bad habits)
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don't miss next week's show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That's what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you'd like to have to get more wellness in your life.