Exploring consciousness in 2018: “We can use fitness technology as a tool for cueing, learning, and sensing instead of as a taskmaster that stresses us out.”
– Dr. Andy Galpin
Join us on Wellness + Wisdom 182 as Dr. Andy Galpin helps us find balance in our modern world and understand both the values and the limitations of technology in fitness, performance, and overall wellness.
Andy's insights will help us slow down and navigate our digital landscape in a healthier way. He also provides us with a blueprint for using modern tech to meet our health and performance goals, while reconnecting to our instincts and the natural world.
Listen To Episode 182 As Andy Uncovers:
- Understanding the value and the limitations of technology in fitness, performance, and overall wellness
- How to navigate the information overload in our digital terrain
- The stressors that are necessary for our health and human development
- Learning to avoid the common mistakes that people make with wearables and wellness apps
- Developing a healthy relationship with modern technology and social media
- Ways to improve our intuition and level of consciousness
- Strategies to reduce the amount of pain and suffering in the body through great consciousness
- New technologies that are helping us reduce physical stress
- How beneficial technology is helping us discover emotional intelligence
- Using technology to get us over the initial humps of behavior change
- Why over time, gamification will lose its potency for motivation
- Using wearables to help calibrate our physical intuition and awareness
- How to take the data from our technology and design a strategy for better wellness
- Why we shouldn't circumvent problems and deeper issues through bio-hacking
- How the CRISPR technology can manipulate our genetic structure
Power Quotes From Dr. Galpin
“There is no such thing as truth in the biological and medical fields, only a lack of perspective.” – Dr. Andy Galpin
“We must develop our ability to become more aware of what's going on in the body.” – Dr. Andy Galpin
“We shouldn't use biohacking as a temporary solution to circumvent our problems.”– Dr. Andy Galpin
“When we only focus on optimization, we miss out on adaptation.” – Dr. Andy Galpin
Dr. Andy Galpin: “Unplugged”
In the first quarter of 2016, Americans bought 19.7 million fitness wearables, an increase of 67 percent over the previous year. By 2020, the global market for fitness-focused apps and devices is expected to grow to $30 billion. This means that more than ever, we’re looking at our wrists not only to check the time, but also to see how much we’ve moved, monitor our heart rate, and see how we’re stacking up against yesterday’s tallies.
Our technology addiction has made us lose connection with what's going on around us. This is bad enough in the gym, but when we get outside, the constant checking of a tiny screen truly wreaks havoc, downgrading what should be a rich experience into yet another task we need to complete to meet our daily goals. And if we fall short, we feel inadequate. There’s also the issue of data inaccuracy, with many device makers now admitting that their gadgets provide only estimates. So why do we continue to obsess over data and treat it as gospel truth?
Unplugged provides a blueprint for using technology to meet your health and performance goals in a much smarter way. In addition to sharing the performance expertise of Brian Mackenzie and the scientific insight of Dr. Andy Galpin, Unplugged features exclusive stories and advice from elite athletes and world-renowned experts like Laird Hamilton, Tim Ferriss, Kai Lenny, Kelly Starrett, Steven Kotler, Erin Cafaro, Lenny Wiersma, Dr. Frank Merritt, and Brandon Rager.
“The Body of Knowledge” Podcast
The Body of Knowledge is a serialized podcast featuring stories from the intersection of science and fitness. Each story is born in a conversation about quality of life and incubates until it can grow into actionable insight.
The show is hosted by former comedian and lifelong human performance coach, Kenny Kane and Professor of Exercise Physiology at CSUF, Andy Galpin. The show is produced in volumes and the chapters of each volume are released weekly.
About Dr. Andy Galpin
Andy is a tenured Professor in the Center for Sport Performance at CSU Fullerton. He was born and raised in beautiful Rochester, WA and is a die-hard Seahawks, Huskies, & Mariner fan. RIP Sonics. As a youth, Andy played every sport at his disposal, excelling at Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Track & Field. While not playing, he worked at grocery stores, gas stations, hay fields, blueberry farms, and in the road construction business. It was during this time he discovered Strength & Conditioning.
Andy took his limited talents to Linfield College to join their Football team and pursue a degree in Exercise Science. While he experienced great success in both (2004 National Championship and 2x Captain and immediate inductee into the “All Ugly” Team), the true reward of this time was the meeting of lifelong friend (Doug Larson). The two fed each other's pursuit of knowledge of human performance and led them to attend the University of Memphis for the Masters degrees in Human Movement Sciences. A bit of luck and excellent faculty mentoring led Doug and Andy to meet Mike Bledsoe and the man formally known as “Barbell Buddha” Chris Moore – all of which later led to the creation of the #1 Health & Fitness Podcast in the world Barbell Shrugged. It also marked the start of Andy's competitive Weightlifting (culminating in his 7th Place finish in the 2007 National Championships), Mixed Martial Arts, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu careers.
Needing to know more about muscle, Andy spent 4 years studying the structure and function of human skeletal muscle at the single cell level, a feat which earned him a PhD in Human Bioenergetics in 2011. This also resulted in the friendship with frequent collaborator Dr. Jimmy Bagley and the ability to open up his own “Biochemistry and Molecular Exercise Physiology Laboratory” at CSU Fullerton.
Links From Today's Show:
- Dr. Andy Galpin:
- Unplugged: Evolve from Technology to Upgrade Your Fitness, Performance, & Consciousness
- Laird Hamilton
- Four Tendencies Quiz – Gretchen Rubin
- Mike Bledsoe
- Mind Pump Media LLC
- Cal State Fullerton
- Robb Wolf: Wired To Eat
- Tim Ferriss
- Carl Sagan – Pale Blue Dot Video
- The Circle
- Interview with Linda Rosenstock
- The Duality of Wellness & Technology – Mind Pump – Wellness Force
- Chris Moore: The Barbell Buddha